Skip to main content

Keeping it local at Upton Warren

   
Green Sandpiper
Since my twitch to see a Black-winged Pratincole, see here, there’s been nothing to entice me to drive any distance. There was a report of a Tibetan Sand Plover some 4 hours’ drive away in Northumberland but before I could turn the car engine on it was reidentified as a Greater Sand Plover, a bird I have seen well before.  I guess its inevitable as my UK list moves well into the 400’s that there will be less and less new birds to tick. With the exceptions of a few gaping holes, most notably around seabirds, its only rare new birds ticks that will get my list growing. I’m also finding myself less and less motivated to drive long distances to see birds I’ve seen well and photographed before. 

 

High summer is always slow for birding with many birders turning to the temporary delights of butterflies and dragonflies but my second major hobby, gardening, together with general maintainace work around our smallholding keeps me very busy over the summer.

 

Worcestershire’s wildlife trusts Upton Warren reserve is only some 20 minutes’ drive from home which begs the question why I haven’t visited more often since I moved to Pirton. I guess the answer is probably the lack of scarce and rare birds compared to, say, Slimbridge which is about the same distance away. The layout of the site for me is also a little problematic with some of the hides facing into the sun,  which I personally find makes viewing difficult and somewhat uncomfortable. There is also the issue that the two parts of the reserve are not connected and access to the flashes is through the Aztec carpark and is hence subject to their late, by birding standards, opening time of 09:00. Having said all that I have visited a couple of times in the last ten days and have enjoyed birding from the Avocet hide which overlooks the flashes. 

 

There are upwards of 15 Green Sandpipers currently on the flashes together with a few Common Sandpipers and +30 Avocets. As I’ve mentioned before, the Green Sands at this time of year are likely to be a mix of females and failed  male breeders. The females abandon their Artic breeding grounds to the males as soon as their eggs are laid leaving the males to incubate the eggs and raise the chicks.



Green Sandpiper

 

Little Egret

Local birders told me that the Avocet’s have had a difficult breeding year with a stoat predating most of their eggs leaving just 6 chicks to fledge. Little Ringed Plovers also regularly breed at Upton Warren and juvenile birds are in evidence on the flashes. Compared to its cousin, the Ringed Plover, it has pale (not orange) legs and a distinctive yellow eye-ring which the Upton Warren Juveniles are just starting to develop. They are comparatively recent additions to the UK breeding list having only breed for the first time in 1938 and are offered enhanced breeding protection as schedule one birds.

Little Ringed Plover
I’ve really enjoyed my last couple of visits to Upton Warren and plan to visit again soon. It’s just such a shame that early morning access to the flashes is so limited.

 

 

 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   

Comments

  1. Facts about female Green Sandpipers leaving male to bring up chicks which I did not know. Thanks Jim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

The Hawfinches of the Forest of Dean

   Hawfinch - Forest of Dean, winter 2017 A highlight of my winter birding is my annual trip to the Forest of Dean to see Hawfinches. I was unable to go last year due to the post-Christmas lockdown so this year’s visit was even more richly anticipated than normal.   Parkend in the Forest of Dean is my usual chosen location for watching Hawfinches. Here the proven technique of using your car as a hide normally works well. I must also say that,  after a number of quite strenuous twitches recently, I was also looking forward to a much more leisurely birding session!   The story of Hawfinches in the UK is, to my mind at least, a fascinating one. It is what is known as an eruptive species meaning that it occasionally erupts from its traditional breeding grounds to invade on mass countries much further away. This is thought to be driven by a combination of breeding success and local crop failure resulting in not enough food to go around.    Records indicate that the Hawfinch was a very rare

Perseverance or sheer stupidly? – The Belted Kingfisher nailed at the 4th attempt!

         Belted Kingfisher I have had three failed attempts, or dips as birders call them, to see the Lancashire Belted Kingfisher over the last few weeks, including two harrowing encounters with the slope of death, see here .     So when the bird was relocated a few miles away from its original location in an altogether less challenging spot I was soon off on my 4 th  attempt to see this truly stunning mega rare vagrant from North America. We had friends from the village coming to dinner on Wednesday night so I really didn’t fancy a strength sapping silly o’clock departure.  I hence left home at 07:00 on Wednesday morning and heading north again up the car park previously known as the M6.   The Kingfisher had relocated close to Samlesbury at a place called Roach Bridge on the river Darwen. I arrived at 09:30, found a parking spot very close to the bridge, and set off along a muddy footpath towards the reported location. Disconcertingly, many birders were heading back to their cars alr