Skip to main content

A visit to see a controversial Canvasback and thoughts on its provenance

  

Canvasback ( its the one with the long black beak) curtsey of Nick Truby

 

Ornamental ducks are perhaps the most difficult and controversial birds that are on the current  British bird list. They are widely kept in collections and as such differentiating a genuine wild vagrant from an escapee is extremely challenging and sometimes impossible. I’ve discussed the issue of proving a birds provenance before, see here, but in summary a ring or isotopic analysis of a sample are required to prove beyond all doubt that the bird is a genuine vagrant. In the absence of this objective evidence of origin much more subjective factors are used to prove that the bird is “probably” a genuine wild bird. You could, however,  strongly argue that in the absence of the definitive evidence above, none of these ornamental ducks should be on the UK list of accepted wild birds

 

The Canvasback is the North American cousin of our common Pochard and is kept in some UK ornamental duck collections. It is, however,  rightly or wrongly on the BBRC British bird list with 7 records accepted based purely on subjective factors. 

 

When a Canvasback was found associating with a large flock of Common Pochard at Abberton Reservoir in Essex some 10 days ago I was in two minds as to whether or not to visit. Arguing perhaps in its favour as a genuine vagrant, there are two previous records from this site  involving long staying birds in 1999 and 2000. These were arguably drawn in by the presence of an exceptionally large flock of overwintering Common Pochard. What weights against it is the fact that they are kept in captivity in the UK.  In fact 6 captive birds were released at Flixton gravel pits in 2020 only 50 miles away from Abberton. I did try and qualify how many are kept in Uk collections but this information does not appear to be  readily available. There are, however, a number of sites in the UK offering captive breed birds for sale. The Flixton birds, however, are allegedly pinioned, a surgical procedure to render the bird permanently incapable of flight. But I guess it’s not inconceivable that they have bred and their offspring have dispersed. 

 

I’ve had a few visits to hospital in the past month or so for various tests and procedures to try and diagnose a health issue with some concern it could be something nasty. After the last procedure on Tuesday it was diagnosed as something not too serious or life threatening so I decided to celebrate with a  day out birding on Wednesday  by paying a visit to Abberton reservoir for what I guess you might call an insurance tick of the Canvasback. After a stressful day on Tuesday at the hospital I really did not feel like getting up early so it was almost midday when I finally arrived on site in Essex. With the very short winter days upon us this meant that a 7 hour round drive was going to yield just 3 and a bit hours of good day light for birding. Not a great ROI I must say but, then again, I’m not renown amongst family and friends for my common-sense!

 

I have never been to this site before but followed the RBA instructions to park and view the reservoir from a long causeway. Another birder was just leaving and he told me that it had taken him 2 hours to locate the Canvasback in amongst the Common Pochard. When I looked over the reservoir I could see why, there must have been several hundred Common Pochard on the water, by far the most I have ever seen in one flock. The flock was initially clustered quite densely in the corner of the reservoir to the left of me and another birder very kindly allowed me to look through his scope at the Canvasback.

 

The Canvasback is the largest diving duck in North America and is very widespread. It breeds in Canada and the northern USA migrating to the southern USA for the winter. It shares many features with our Common Pochard with a chestnut red head and neck, a black breast, a greyish back, black rump, and a blackish brown tail. The drake's sides, back, and belly are white with fine vermiculation resembling the weave of a canvas, which gave rise to the bird's common name. It differs from our Common Pochard in that it has a long prominent black bill with none of the slatey grey bands always present on adult drake Common Pochard. It is also noticeably larger when seen well next to its european cousin.

 

I managed to get it in my scope a couple more times before the majority of the flock drifted off distantly into the middle of the reservoir. I spent the next couple of hours trying to locate it again in the scope, dismissing hundreds of Common Pochard in the process. The flock was densely packed with maybe 50% asleep with their heads tucked in and I could not re-find it. By 15:00 the light was going making it all the more impossible to scope the flock and I decided to cut my losses and leave with my insurance tick but no photos. I’m hence indebted to my good friend Nick who visited last weekend and got all the excellent photos on this blog.







 

I’m calling this an insurance tick on the basis that it might get accepted by the BBRC. I’m in two minds as to whether to add it to my UK list before BBRC rule on it – perhaps I should include it as half a tick!

 

 

Footnote - My blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr