Skip to main content

A Black-winged Pratincole returns to Mission near Doncaster

  
The Black-winged Pratincole is yet another bird that I have history with having dipped the one at Frampton Marsh RSPB a number of years back. When one was found on a gravel pit complex near Doncaster my good birding friend Nick Truby messaged me to ask if I was going. This was an occasion when birding was definitely taken a back seat to family affairs, in this case the wedding of my gorgeous youngest daughter Josie. On Friday I was recovering from a truly memorable day and thinking about where to go birding on Saturday when some rather surprising information appeared on our “twitching the UK” WhatsApp group and RBA. After being absent for 5 days the Pratincole had returned to the original spot.

 

After a quick chat with my ever suffering lovely wife Carolyn  I set off towards Doncaster. The news had hit social media around 10:30 and I departed at 11:30 on what turned out to be an awful drive north. The M5, M42 and M1 are blighted by yet more roadworks, the majority of it being down to the total incompetence of road planners. By changing the hard shoulder to the fourth lane on motorways they have basically turned them into a death trap for anyone unfortunate enough to break down. I’ve read that the average time between breaking down and being hit is 5 minutes! I understand that the first smart motorway was supposed to be complete and the results analysed before more were converted but the powers to be decided it would be a good idea not to  wait for the data and convert lots of motorways anyway! Having realised that they had manufactured death traps they are now busy installing more emergency break down areas which is fine if you are “lucky” enough to break down next to one. The net result for the ever suffering driver is that within a year or two of all the chaos caused by “upgrading” to smart motorways we now have the travel chaos again as they install more emergency areas!

 

So, after being parked on the M1 for an hour I eventually arrived at the designated parking area just before 15:00. It was a 30 minute walk along a track to the reported viewing spot. On the way I met Oxon birder Adrian Sparrowhawk who told me that the Pratincole had been showing and hawking for insects over the water. The first group of birders watching the bird helped me get onto the Pratincole flying over the lake and there was UK bird number 415. Now I could relax and enjoy myself watching the bird!

 

With just 44 records to the end of 2022 this Pratincole is rated as a rare vagrant to the UK. In the breeding season it is normally  found in the warmer parts of south-east Europe  and south-west Asia before migrating to tropical Africa for the winter. Somewhat strangely, while they are classified as waders they share almost no behavioural characteristics with them. Rather they typical hunt their insect prey on the wing like Swifts and Swallows. It has short legs, long pointed wings, and a forked tail. Unlike other waders, it has a short bill, an adaptation to aerial feeding. The back and head are brown, and the wings are brown with black flight feathers. The belly is white and the underwings are black. Good views are needed to distinguish it from the two other Pratincoles that have been recorded in the UK, the scarce Collared Pratincole, which I have been fortunate to see a number of times, and the very rare Oriental Pratincole with just 7 UK records which I have never seen.

 

In the 3 hours that I was on site the Pratincole split its time between feeding on the wing and preening in the long grass occasionally on view. It’s hard to imagine why this agile jet powered swift impersonator is classified as a wader. I assume it’s due to evolutionary proximity, i.e DNA. It was hawking for insects over the lake exactly like the many hirundines present. It would even do the up and mid-air stall manoeuvrer to catch insects just like Swallows and Swifts. At a distance it was only distinguishable by its size.


  


 

Photography was hard work with distance, the speed of the bird in flight and heat haze combining to allow at best record shots so I spent most of the time watching the bird through my bins when it was in the air and with my scope when it was on the ground.

 

I made the long slow journey home in considerably better spirts than on the way up passing time listening to the euros quarter finals, nice and relaxing compared, I’m sure, to the upper coming England  match.

 

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

 

Comments

  1. Norman George GreatholderJuly 8, 2024 at 4:02 AM

    Good article --your motorway observations are spot on --- madness someone ( or plural) should be accountable
    for the stupidity of "smart motorways" "smart death-traps more like"
    Anyway saw the bird on Sunday 7th am ==my 3rd the last being on Anglesey in2001 !!!"!
    ----What a walk in the heat with a sore knee---
    Good birding --Norman Greatholder Stafford

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

The Hawfinches of the Forest of Dean

   Hawfinch - Forest of Dean, winter 2017 A highlight of my winter birding is my annual trip to the Forest of Dean to see Hawfinches. I was unable to go last year due to the post-Christmas lockdown so this year’s visit was even more richly anticipated than normal.   Parkend in the Forest of Dean is my usual chosen location for watching Hawfinches. Here the proven technique of using your car as a hide normally works well. I must also say that,  after a number of quite strenuous twitches recently, I was also looking forward to a much more leisurely birding session!   The story of Hawfinches in the UK is, to my mind at least, a fascinating one. It is what is known as an eruptive species meaning that it occasionally erupts from its traditional breeding grounds to invade on mass countries much further away. This is thought to be driven by a combination of breeding success and local crop failure resulting in not enough food to go around.    Records indicate that the Hawfinch was a very rare

Perseverance or sheer stupidly? – The Belted Kingfisher nailed at the 4th attempt!

         Belted Kingfisher I have had three failed attempts, or dips as birders call them, to see the Lancashire Belted Kingfisher over the last few weeks, including two harrowing encounters with the slope of death, see here .     So when the bird was relocated a few miles away from its original location in an altogether less challenging spot I was soon off on my 4 th  attempt to see this truly stunning mega rare vagrant from North America. We had friends from the village coming to dinner on Wednesday night so I really didn’t fancy a strength sapping silly o’clock departure.  I hence left home at 07:00 on Wednesday morning and heading north again up the car park previously known as the M6.   The Kingfisher had relocated close to Samlesbury at a place called Roach Bridge on the river Darwen. I arrived at 09:30, found a parking spot very close to the bridge, and set off along a muddy footpath towards the reported location. Disconcertingly, many birders were heading back to their cars alr