Skip to main content

The Redstarts of the ancient Welsh woodlands

    
Male Redstart

The Redstart is one of the trio of woodland migrants, the others being the Wood Warbler and Pied Flycatcher, that I would hope to catch up with in the Wyre forest annually in May. I’ve always found it hard to get decent views of the Redstarts at Wyre and this May was no exception with a brief flight view. For whatever reason, they seem to be somewhat more confiding in the Welsh forests so I planned a very laid back woodland birding day there on Thursday last week.

 

The site I normally visit is some 100 miles drive from home but the windy Welsh roads determine that this is a 180 minute drive. After a very enjoyable early morning dog walk at home I was the sole occupant of the small car park when I parked up at just before 9 am. The weather was rather overcast and chilly, a stark contrast to the heatwave conditions we had at home earlier in the week.

 

The male Redstart in summer plumage is a very handsome and photogenic bird. He has a slate-grey head and upperparts, except the rump   and tail, which, like the flanks, underwing coverts and axillaries are orange-chestnut. The forehead is white; the sides of the face and throat are black. The two central tail feathers are dark brown, the other tail feathers bright orange red. It winters in central Africa and Arabia , south of the Sahara Desert  but north of the Equator, from Senegal  east to Yemen. It is widespread as a breeding bird in UK with a preference for western woodland habitat.

 

I had only walked perhaps 50 meters from the carpark when I saw my first Redstart, a female, feeding on the broadwalk in front of me. This really set the tone for the day with a good number of sightings of both male and female birds. Further into the woodland I came across another female with a beak full of juicy insects. I presumed she was heading off to a nest to feed her chicks but she was actually feeding very recently fledged rather clumsy and ungainly juveniles. It is often the case that juvenile birds are rather confiding, sometimes to a ridiculous extent and this was true of several of this brood. I often wonder at what point they become rightfully weary of us planet destroying humans. Perhaps the sad fact is that natural selection comes in to play and the confiding juveniles are the ones that sadly don’t make it.

   

 Redstart youngster

The problem with photographing wood birds is guess what – wood. Nine times out of ten you can guarantee that a pesky twig is slap bang between you and the bird as in this otherwise quite nice example spoiled by the twig covering over the left leg


Dam Twig!



Here's my favourite Redstart picture taken at the same site a few years back.






Birdsong is much reduced in late June as parental duties take priority but I did hear a brief burst of Garden Warbler song and saw it flitting about in the canopy. The Garden Warbler is a perfect example of the Hutchins inverse law of bird song – the beauty of the bird is inversely proportional to the beauty of the song, i.e dull birds have the most beautiful song. I also caught a few bursts of the characteristic Wood Warbler spinning coin song but failed to see it in the dense canopy. There were none of the usual Pied Flycatchers but the warden told me that they seem to have had a good breeding season so I guess they have dispersed. I also caught a brief couple of bursts of a call that sounded like a Hawfinch which my Merlin app also confirmed. Chatting to the ranger, this would only be the second record of Hawfinch on the site if confirmed.

 

I spent a little while at the end of the afternoon watching a family of recently fledged Wrens. The juveniles reminded me of a group of out of control toddlers as they flew, or almost tumbled,  rather unconvincingly around the ferns with one of their parents getting very irate with lots of what seemed to be scolding song aimed at the unruly youngsters.


  

Grumpy parent wren

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Twitching an Indigo Bunting in Whitburn and personal thoughts on its provenance

I’ve said to Carolyn a couple of times this week that I felt a Mega was in the offing. There’s been a large fall of birds overshooting on migration to continental Europe this week with more than 30 Red-backed Shrikes counted on Fair Isle alone. So I was hoping for some mega rare overshoot from the East. In fact the opposite happened – birding is nothing but totally unpredictable!   On Saturday I was out doing a lunchtime walk around my local patch when a report of a mega rare Indigo Bunting was posted on the bird alert services. With just 3 accepted records to date this bird really is as rare as rocking horse poo. A male in summer plumage is also a stonkingly attractive bird. The location, Whitburn in county Durham, was some 250 miles or a 4 hour drive from home. I calculated that by the time I walked home and packed the car it would be around 18:00 when I arrived. Should I go now or wait until tomorrow on the hope that it stays? I quickly decided that it was too risky to wait and set

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t