Skip to main content

A Bridled Tern visits Coquet Island in Northumberland

  

Bridled Tern

On Saturday 1st of June a very rare Bridled Tern was found in amongst the seabird colonies on Coquet Island a mile or so off the coast of Northumberland. This attractive Tern resides in my infamous mega dips category, see here.  Coquet Island is famous as the  location of  a small colony  of breeding Roseate Terns, the UK’s rarest breeding tern.  It is possible to do a coastal tour of the island with a company called Puffin Cruises and, in fact, Jeremy and I did this very trip to see the Roseate Terns in 2018. No one is allowed to disembark on the island, which has a permeant warden in breeding season, for obvious reasons.

 

Coquet island at 275 miles distant from home is a good 4 hour drive and during the week I blew hot and cold as to whether to visit. My mind was eventually made up when Wayne, who runs our “twitching the UK and Ireland” WhatsApp group, very kindly offered to organise some bespoke cruises to the island for birders. The boat trip is very tide and sea condition dependent and trips, with a strict limit of 40 birders on each, were proposed for 17:30 on Saturday and 18:30 on Sunday. As an added incentive sea conditions indicated that no further cruises would be possible until the end of the following week. So I quickly messaged Wayne and got myself booked on the Saturday cruise.  It’s a good job I did as both cruises were quicky fully booked up by birders eager to see this mega rare bird.

 

I decided to stay locally on the Saturday night, I really didn’t fancy a 550 mile round trip drive in one day, and  so booked myself into the cheapest local Premier Inn I could find. My plan was to get up at 05:00 on Saturday morning, help Carolyn with the horses and then leave home at 07:00 latest. With rest stops this would get me to Amble harbour, where the boat departed from, just after midday.  On arrival I planned to scope the island from some mainland sand dunes where other birders had managed distant views and then visit the local tern colony at Long Nanny before getting back to Amble in good time to catch the boat. 

 

With windy conditions shaking my scope around and bad midday heat haze I rapidly gave up on the idea of scoping the bird from the mainland and set off to Long Nanny. I’ve never been there before and I managed to go to entirely the wrong location but eventually parked up in the correct place and made the short walk across the sandy beach to the roped off area where the terns were nesting. There is a very active Artic tern colony here with one very surprising visitor, a female American Black Tern which is currently considered a subspecies of the european Black Tern. It has been returning to Long Nanny for a number of springs but this year an astonishing event has occurred. It has paired with an Artic Tern and laid two eggs which it is now incubating. As far as I’m able to ascertain, and please correct me if I’m wrong, this is the first time these two species have attempted to hybridise. It may well be the case that the two species are sufficiently separated that the eggs will not be fertile. If they are it will be fascinating to see what the chicks are like as the American Black Tern is, not surprisingly, mainly black and the Artic is white and light grey.  Hybridisation in other Tern species is not unknown with examples of Artic x Rosette in the literature. The nest is close to a viewpoint by the wardens shed in amongst the Artic Tern nests but a little obscured by sea grass. The colony was a buzz of loud activity with Artic Terns continuously coming and going. The Artic Tern is, again I believe, the longest distant avian migrator spending the spring and summer breeding mainly in the Artic region and then migrating to the Antarctic in our winter for the Antarctic summer. I spent a very pleasant hour at Long Nanny before returning to Amble for the main event.


American Black Tern on nest



Artic Tern

I got back to Amble harbour around 16:30 and chatted to other birders while we waited for our boat to arrive. Our cruise was with the same company that runs Puffin Cruises and our friendly captain, Steve, soon had us loaded on the boat and off on the 20 minute or so trip out to the island.  At this time of year Coquet is absolutely teeming with breeding sea birds with other species of Tern, Puffins and Kittiwakes absolutely everywhere. Luckily, having already done a number of regular Puffin cruise trips to the island that day, Steve knew exactly where the Bridled Tern was and took us straight to its location. After a short panic when other birders got on the bird and I couldn’t see it, I found the bird sitting amongst the Puffins on the slope towards the top of the island.

 

The Bridled Tern, with just 25 UK records prior to 2022, is a true 3 start mega rarity. It is very much a marine bird wintering widely through tropical oceans, so I guess that it would be rather nonplussed by our typical British summer! There are a number of subspecies but I guess this is most likely to be the Atlantic melanopterus subspecies which breeds in Mexico, the Caribbean and west Africa.  It is a similar size to our Common Tern but is somewhat more heavily built. The wings and deeply forked tail are long, and it has dark grey upperparts and white underparts. The forehead and eyebrows are white, as is a striking collar on the hindneck. It has black legs and bill. As such It is unlikely to be confused with any other species of tern apart from the similarly dark-backed Sooty Tern which itself has only been recorded 21  times in the UK.

 

Our boat was rolling quite heavily in the swell making it impossible to get a reasonable focus lock on the bird for any length of time. I hence adopted the well know “point and prey” approach of pointing the camera where the bird was and firing off lots of shots in the hope that some would both capture the bird and be in focus. For this to work I had the R5 shutter speed set to a minimum of 1/2000 second in auto ISO mode. I was using the bare 500mm lens without extenders and varied the F number from a fully open F4 ( giving the lowest ISO speed) up to f10 (giving me more depth of field). Luckily, there were indeed a few semi reasonable shots in amongst the full memory card I shot.







A few Puffins!
 
Spot the Roseate tern!


It was a great outing and once again many thanks indeed to Wayne Glossip for organising it. After a celebratory beer and steak I was really wiped and crashed out at my hotel very pleased that I was not driving back until the morning

 

Footnote 

 

Tern species on the UK list – I have seen the ones in red so just 6 to go. The numbers in brackets indicate previous UK records so there is no realistic hope of seeing them all!

 

Gull-billed Tern

Caspian Tern

Royal Tern (3)

Lesser Crested Tern (9)

Sandwich Tern

Cabot's Tern (1!)

Elegant Tern

Little Tern

Least Tern (1!)

Aleutian Tern (1!)

Bridled Tern

Sooty Tern (21)

Roseate Tern

Common Tern

Arctic Tern

Forster's Tern

Whiskered Tern

White-winged Black Tern

Black Tern


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Twitching an Indigo Bunting in Whitburn and personal thoughts on its provenance

I’ve said to Carolyn a couple of times this week that I felt a Mega was in the offing. There’s been a large fall of birds overshooting on migration to continental Europe this week with more than 30 Red-backed Shrikes counted on Fair Isle alone. So I was hoping for some mega rare overshoot from the East. In fact the opposite happened – birding is nothing but totally unpredictable!   On Saturday I was out doing a lunchtime walk around my local patch when a report of a mega rare Indigo Bunting was posted on the bird alert services. With just 3 accepted records to date this bird really is as rare as rocking horse poo. A male in summer plumage is also a stonkingly attractive bird. The location, Whitburn in county Durham, was some 250 miles or a 4 hour drive from home. I calculated that by the time I walked home and packed the car it would be around 18:00 when I arrived. Should I go now or wait until tomorrow on the hope that it stays? I quickly decided that it was too risky to wait and set

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t