Skip to main content

May at Fabulous Frampton RSPB


 




On Monday I spent the day at one of my favourite reserves, RSPB Frampton on the Wash in Lincolnshire. In contrast to Worcestershire, where it pretty much rained all day, it was a lovely sunny spring day.

 

Frampton holds fond memories for me. Over the years I’ve added Black Stork, Buff Breasted Sandpiper and White rumped Sandpiper to my UK list at this large well managed wetland site and I hoped to reacquaint myself with a number of scare and rare birds which were on site during this visit.

 

My first target was a Red-breasted Goose that had been associating with its normal carrier species, the Brent Goose, on the grassland opposite the scrapes. I soon located it a little distantly, a theme for the day, in amongst the Brents and got good views through my scope.

 

The Red-breasted Goose breeds mainly in Artic Siberia and winters on the shores of the Black Sea. It is a rare vagrant to the British Isles where it is sometimes found with flocks of Brent or Barnacle Geese.  It is classified as vulnerable meaning that it is threatened with extinction unless the circumstances that are threating its survival and reproduction improve. It is a very attractive small stocky goose with a small bill. It has a rich rusty breast and striking rusty and black-and-white head pattern. The mantle is dark and finely barred and it has a noticeable white flank stripe.

 

Identification of truly wild vagrants in the UK suffers the same escapee problems of all attractive wildfowl kept in collections but association with a known carrier species, such as the Brent Goose, is often takin as a good indication of a wild bird. The BOU have 90 accepted occurrences of wild birds in the British Isles.

 

Here is a typical view that I had several times during the day.


And here is a close up taken in Norfolk a few years back.


Now, given the very obvious differences between the Red-breasted and Brent Goose you might think its impossible to confuse them. Well I’m afraid that you need to think again. At a distance when the Red-Breasted has its back to you and all you can see is its white rump it can disappear into the crowd. Several times during the day I scanned the distant Brent flock from several locations only to eventually find the bird on the 3rd or 4thscan as it turned to face me.

 

Can you tell which bird is the Red-breasted in this picture?


It’s actually the second from the left.

 

I next headed to the wet grassland near the reservoir to look for the long staying Lesser Yellowlegs. The lush spring vegetation made locating birds hard but I did get distant scope views of pairs of Greenshank and Wood Sandpiper.

 

Following the path adjacent to the reservoir, I walked slowly back to the seawall while stopping many times to look for birds. I thought that the Red-breasted Goose looked closer from this side but in fact it was the same distance away. This reminded me of a phenomena at Farmoor reservoir where the birds always seem closer to the far bank until you walk around and realise that they are actually slap bang in the middle!

 

Back down towards the seawall a small group of Godwits were feeding in the shallow water. Several of then were pretty much in full summer plumage with beautiful rusty red- brown necks and breasts.  They had similar colours on their back feathers but with black ends looking almost as though they had been dipped in paint. I spent an hour or so sitting on the bank just chilling out and watching the Godwits go about their business and also took a few photos. At times like this I feel completely “ in the zone” totally relaxed and surrounded by nature without a negative thought or worry in my head.


Close to the Godwits a small mixed group of Ringed and Little Ringed Plovers were feeding, the latter easily distinguished by their bright yellow eye rings.


Little Ringed Plover
At the seawall a fellow birder informed me that the Lesser Yellowlegs had been on a patch of mud in the corner but had flown over the sea wall to a small strip of presumably saline water. Most of the margin around the water was obscured by vegetation and I had left my scope in the car but another kind birder relocated the bird and he kindly let me look through his scope for a brief distant view. 

 

Walking at a leisurely pace back along the sea wall I heard a Whimbrel calling and soon located it, again somewhat distantly, over the wall towards the Wash.  The call is a rather eery sounding rippling whistle which is prolonged into a trill for the song. 

 

Here’s a record shot of the bird.


And here’s a closer view of one taken in Uist a few years back.


It is one of the most widespread members of the Curlew family, breeding across much of subarctic Asia  and Europe as far south as Scotland. It is migratory spending the winter in south Asia and Africa so this bird was on a stop off on route to its breeding grounds. It is similar to our Curlew but differs in being smaller, with a shorter, decurved bill and a prominent central crown stripe offset by strong supercilia.

 

All told I spent 8 very enjoyable hours at the reserve, no doubt I will visit again soon!


Spoonbill



Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Jim,

    Sounds like a highly enjoyable day out. I wrote my own blog post about my very first visit a couple of weeks ago now.

    I set off home at about 4.15in the morning and got there just after six. What a lovely run it is from Birmingham.

    Wow what a place. I had 15 Lifers that day, as I mention in my own blog.

    The best one was just as I'm about to set off after a highly enjoyable 8 hours of birding when the lesser yellow legs landed right in front of the motor. Wish I got a pic of it but I had packed everything away already.
    May see you around fella.
    Very enjoyable read Jim.

    Happy Spotting,
    Phillip Dews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

The Hawfinches of the Forest of Dean

   Hawfinch - Forest of Dean, winter 2017 A highlight of my winter birding is my annual trip to the Forest of Dean to see Hawfinches. I was unable to go last year due to the post-Christmas lockdown so this year’s visit was even more richly anticipated than normal.   Parkend in the Forest of Dean is my usual chosen location for watching Hawfinches. Here the proven technique of using your car as a hide normally works well. I must also say that,  after a number of quite strenuous twitches recently, I was also looking forward to a much more leisurely birding session!   The story of Hawfinches in the UK is, to my mind at least, a fascinating one. It is what is known as an eruptive species meaning that it occasionally erupts from its traditional breeding grounds to invade on mass countries much further away. This is thought to be driven by a combination of breeding success and local crop failure resulting in not enough food to go around.    Records indicate that the Hawfinch was a very rare

Perseverance or sheer stupidly? – The Belted Kingfisher nailed at the 4th attempt!

         Belted Kingfisher I have had three failed attempts, or dips as birders call them, to see the Lancashire Belted Kingfisher over the last few weeks, including two harrowing encounters with the slope of death, see here .     So when the bird was relocated a few miles away from its original location in an altogether less challenging spot I was soon off on my 4 th  attempt to see this truly stunning mega rare vagrant from North America. We had friends from the village coming to dinner on Wednesday night so I really didn’t fancy a strength sapping silly o’clock departure.  I hence left home at 07:00 on Wednesday morning and heading north again up the car park previously known as the M6.   The Kingfisher had relocated close to Samlesbury at a place called Roach Bridge on the river Darwen. I arrived at 09:30, found a parking spot very close to the bridge, and set off along a muddy footpath towards the reported location. Disconcertingly, many birders were heading back to their cars alr