Skip to main content

A Collared Flycatcher at Kilnsea

The Collared Flycatcher and I have a little history. A few years back I thought I had seen one in the Warren at Spurn. Being a female, distinguishing this bird from a Pied Flycatcher was by no means straightforward but it was caught and examined in the hand and believed to display the necessary distinguishing characteristics. On this basis I ticked it. A good few months later I was talking to Oxon and ex-Yorkshire birder Mick Cunningham as we both dipped a Rufus Bush Chat in Norfolk and he told me that DNA analysis had confirmed that the Spurn bird was in fact a Pied Flycatcher! Quite  a memorable dip as my UK bird list had gone down rather than up by one!

 

Fast forward to this Friday and I was having a morning coffee with Carolyn when a report of a bird trapped at Kilnsea in Yorkshire hit the bird alert services. As this bird was an absolutely stonking male there was no doubt about its identification. I begged forgiveness from my ever suffering wife and set off on the almost 4 hour drive to Kilnsea excited to be doing my first twitch for almost 3 months. I’d only been on the road for half an hour when the dreaded “no further sign” message appeared on RBA. Now I really didn’t fancy carrying on for what would have totalled 7 hours of driving to dip yet another bird at Spurn, Great Snipe and Artic Warbler falling into this category in the past year. So I pulled over at a service station and sat down with a coffee. After 30 minutes with no further news I typed a message to Carolyn that I was on my way home with my tail firmly between my legs but just as I sent the message a report came in that it had been seen briefly again.

 

Some 3 hours later I arrived on site to find 10 or so birders on the verge looking at a somewhat distant hedgerow. After a couple of minutes the Flycatcher flew into view clearly displaying the white vicars dog collar which gives it its name.

 

The Collared Flycatcher is one of four species of black and white flycatcher found in the Western Palearctic the other three being the Semi-collared, Atlas and Pied Flycatcher. As far as I’m aware only the Pied and Collared have been recorded in the UK with the Collared being considered a mega rare vagrant. It breeds in southeast Europe and winters in  sub Saharan Africa.

 

The views through my scope were very good but it was a little too distant for photography. It was flying in and out of a blackthorn hedge covered in mayflower doing exactly what it says on the tin, i.e. catching flies. The flycatcher was still present on Saturday but, with clear overnight skies, it departed overnight and was not seen on Sunday. I often wonder where these displaced migrants go when they move on. Will it reorientate and fly east to its breeding grounds? It has been identified as a bird hatched last spring so this is the first return journey from Africa it will have made. The are  reasons for bird vagrancy  discussed in great detail in "Vagrancy in Birds" which I have reviewed in a previous blog, see here. If it is a storm blown vagrant I guess it might try to fly east. If it’s a DNA coding error I guess it won’t. They do hybridise with our Pied Flycatchers on the border of their ranges where they overlap so perhaps it will find solace in a UK female Pied Flycatcher mate.


After watching the dainty Flycatcher for an hour or so I decided, rather than drive straight home, to pay a visit to Flamborough head where a well-marked Eastern Stonechat had been reported. While this is only a 40 mile trip in reality it’s a long and windy 90 minute drive up the coast. I arrived just past 5 with the sun making a rather pathetic attempt to come out from behind thick cloud. As I parked my car in the lighthouse car park I saw another birder returning from the reported general direction. He informed me that the Stonechat was still showing well and gave me good directions to its location in a bramble patch adjacent to the so called motorway hedge. 

 

Showing well is an often used phrase and, in my experience, can vary from meaning that the bird is a few  to several hundred feet away. In this case it was the former and easy to find on the brambles. Stonechats are often very confiding birds and this chap was true to form perching up on the brambles perhaps 20 meters away. It then flew towards me and again sat on the brambles no more than 5 meters away while giving me a rather inquisitive stare. It soon decided I really wasn’t that interesting and so completely ignored me and burst into song.

 

We have three species of Stonechat on the UK list and I have previously seen all three. Together with our Common European Stonechat we have two species of Eastern Stonechat, namely the Siberian and Stejneger’s Stonechats. Distinguishing the two eastern species in the field is troublesome and normally requires DNA sequencing for a definitive identification. The Flamborough bird is believed to be Siberian but DNA samples have been obtained which will eventually tie the bird down to species level. As the name suggests, these are birds normally found in Eastern Russia and Asia.

 

The Siberian Stonechat resembles our Common Stonechat but differs in being paler below, with a white rump and whiter underparts with less orange on the breast. The male in breeding plumage has black upperparts and head (lacking the brownish tones of the European stonechat), a conspicuous white collar, scapular patch and rump, and a restricted area of orange on the throat.

 

The Flamborough bird was an easy bird to photograph clearly showing the above characteristics. It was certainly full of character and a real joy to watch as it jumped from bramble to bramble pausing for a quick burst of song before dropping briefly to the ground to pick up an insect.

   




A truly wonderful  way to finish a memorable day out before departing for the long journey home. The emotional difference between seeing or not seeing your target bird on these long drives home is hard to describe but very extreme. There can’t be too many hobbies where the difference between ecstasy and agony is marked by such small margins!

 

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   

 

Comments

  1. Thank you Jim for another interesting and educating, (for me🤣🤣) blog. Trust all is well with you, Carolyn and your family. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - all good with us!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr