Skip to main content

Dipping Dippers in the wonderful Wyre Forest, definitely not, and welcome back Pied Flycatchers


   


 

Last Thursday was forecast to be sunny and with the seemingly endless rain due to return on Friday, it did by the way, I decided to make the most of the weather and headed up to the Wyre Forest to see what migrants were in. I was expecting a few Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts but it’s a couple of weeks too early for the Wood Warblers. I parked in the small Dry Mill Lane carpark and made my way down the road into the forest. I paused by an ornate carved wooden bench, a good spot in the past for Tree Pipits,  and scanned the forest. I picked up one distant singing Tree Pipit and two singing Willow Warblers. A small group of birders put me onto a male Pied Flycatcher on the other side of the road and I managed a fleeting view as it flew off. I walked on down to the second old railway bridge and walked up into the Pied Flycatcher nest box area where I again had a fleeting view of one male bird. 

 

I next made my way further into the forest to a spot that has been good for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers in the past and was pretty sure I heard one someway off drumming but I could not get the bins on it. Behind me in an old orchard a Redstart called and I spent 15 minutes trying to see it without success. This is typical of my experience of Redstarts in the Wyre Forest which seem, to me at least, to be much more skittish than those in the New Forest and the woodlands of Wales.

 

I walked back to the main path and down the valley where the Wood Warblers have been for the past few years, but as expected, there was no sign yet. I dropped down to the bottom of the valley and followed the small stream towards the outdoor adventure building and the old mill. I stopped on one of my favourite spots, a wooden bridge over the stream and had a coffee and a large chunk of my wife’s delicious home-made ginger cake. The sun was out, birds were singing and it was a beautiful spring day. I reconciled myself to just fleeting views or heard onlys for the birds I was hoping to see rationalising that these were the kind of days I dreamed of when I was stuck in an office, when a female Dipper flew under the bridge and landed on a mid-stream stone a few meters away from me. She was shortly joined by a male and both moved agilely along the stones and through the fast moving steam picking up some kind of what looked like insect larva.

 





Dippers are supremely well adapted to their life in fast moving streams. They have evolved solid bones to reduce their buoyancy, and their wings are relatively short but strongly muscled, enabling them to be used as flippers underwater. They have a  high haemoglobin  concentration in their blood which gives them a capacity to store oxygen  for longer than most other birds, allowing them to remain underwater for up to 60 seconds.

 

They seemed completely oblivious to my presence and carried on catching grubs for 30 minutes or so until their beaks were rammed full. At this point I moved slowly off leaving them to carry on with their activity.  For the past few years they have normally nested at another location on the stream which I will not divulge for obvious reasons. I know they nest early and, as they were collecting rather than eating the insects, I assume they had young in the nest but I was surprised, if indeed this was true, how long they left them for.

 

I walked past the old mill and back into the nest box area where I spotted another male Pied Flycatcher. This time it stayed on a branch for a few minutes and then flew to and inspected a nearby nest box at which point I thought I should move on and leave him to it. I believe the males tend to arrive a week or two before the females and I guess he was checking out the real-estate in readiness for their return.







 

On the way home I popped into Clifford Pits, an area that has held large numbers of Yellow Wagtails in the past few years. This time there was just a single rather dapper looking male bird. The reason was fairly obvious, the adjacent cereal field that they nest in had been rotated to a potato crop and the whole field was covered in very un-green plastic to protect the shoots from frost.  A couple of Little Ringed Plovers, a House Martin and a Common Sandpiper were all new birds for the year for me. 

 

Perhaps most surprisingly of all a flock of Goosanders were sound asleep on the far shore. I think there were 7 birds and only one male.  I would have thought that they would be paired up and have made their way north of breed by now so both the fact that so many were still there and their gender mix seemed quite unusually to me. 

 

Also of note during the day were the large numbers of Cowslips I saw, together with Bluebells my favourite spring flowers. Way back when I was a boy growing up in the sticks in Wiltshire they were quite rare so they seem to have made a very welcome comeback.

 

I made my way home quite elated by my 7 hours in the beautiful English spring countryside.


 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   



Comments

  1. Lovely post thank you for sharing. Ive lived near the forest for most of my adult life and love to hear about the wildlife it supports. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of hard to find birds. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr