Skip to main content

A day out with Dartford Warblers

Over the past few years I’ve had an early spring date in my diary to visit Thursley Common in Surrey to see Dartford Warblers. Experience has taught me that that best time to go is on a sunny day in early to mid-March. This seems to be when the males are at their most active and  accessible as they will perch up on the gorse and blast out their song. The truth is that their song is not particularly pleasing to the ear being rather scratchy and certainly not up there with the best songsters but I guess the female Dartfords don’t see it that way! By early April the pair bond seems to be (re)established and the male and the female are often found doing a feeding circuit deeper in the gorse. I don’t like to go any later than early April as I want to make sure I don’t disturb them when they are nesting – doubly so as they are a schedule 1 bird.

 

With the atrocious March weather, the wettest for 40 years, I was thinking I would be giving this trip a miss this year but I was free this Tuesday on what was forecast to be a lovely sunny day so off on the 115 mile trip to Thursley common I went. The drive was totally uneventful until I approach the last mile along the small, wooded lane to the Moat Pond car park. I discovered that the approach road was closed and when I enquired how to get to my destination the chap at the barrier told me to follow the diversion signs. The problem was there either weren’t any or they were very well hidden! What followed was an incredibly frustrating and blood pressure raising 40 minutes going around the small lanes in circles trying to find a way in. Yes roads need to be closed for repairs etc but surely the diversions should be well signed! 

 

I eventually worked out how to do it and arrived at a near empty car park – I guess most other visitors were having the same problem as me. I had intended to look for Wood Larks first but as I was much later than intended I decided to go straight to an area which has always been good for the Dartfords. 

 

Being a resident insectivore on the very northern end of its range in the UK makes it highly susceptible to severe winter weather. In the famously cold and snowy winter of 1962/63 it is said that its UK population dropped to just ten pairs. More recently, thankfully, their numbers have increased due to warmer winters and well managed areas of heathland. The species is classified globally as near threatened.

 

The summer before last a devastating fire reduced much of the common to ash but mother nature had been hard at work and the yellow gorse looked in fine fettle. Small saplings were also taking advantage of the lack of competition and were pushing their way up to the cleared skies. Subjectively, the Dartfords seemed to be doing well, there must be some upside to climate change after all. I found 4 territories where pairs were doing feeding circuits,  the male and female staying close together as they made their way around.  As per above they were much more in the undergrowth than visits earlier in the year and in the 5 hours I was walking around  I never heard a male sing once.







 

Last year in early March I was really spoilt by getting some clear pictures of singing males but this year my later visit gave mainly twiggy views of the birds feeding low down. Note to self – make sure I go in early March next year!







 Last years much clearer pictures


 

I saw one distant Wood Lark to add to my rather half hearted year list but again heard no song. Another reason to go earlier next year!

 

 

The day was completed by the Seagulls continuing their fine form with a 2 goal away victory over Bournemouth. This is, by some considerable measure, the Seagulls best season in the long 50 years I have supported them. I find it so gratifying that a team almost exclusively built on young talent that the club have found and developed are doing so well. Their very attacking style of football is so pleasing on the eye. I find it very gratifying to see my team doing so well compared to teams with billionaire owners and endless reserves who buy players at such inflated prices without any sign of a strategy and who hire and fire managers as regularly as fireworks going off.


Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr