Skip to main content

Drop everything again ( 2023 part 1) - there's an Alpine Swift at Oldbury Power station

 



The start of spring in March is an exciting and very active time for my two hobbies of birding and gardening. It sees the start of migration proper with the first wave of  early arrivals such as Wheatears and Sand Martins hitting our shores. Migration is very wind direction dependent and birds will always wait for the right winds to migrate on mass.  In the absence of favourable winds spring 2023 migration has so far been quite subdued with just small numbers of migrants in the country. 

 

On Tuesday this week a very unusual report on RBA of a flock of six or so rare Alpine Swifts, a bird I have never seen,  in Dungarvan ,Co. Waterford caught my eye. With  favourable southerly winds on Wednesday it soon became clear that the migration flood gates had opened with over one  hundred incoming Wheatears found on the Dorset coast at Portland alone. With rain forecast for the afternoon I decided to spend the morning planting out my greenhouse grown broad beans in my veg patch while always keeping an eye on bird reports. 

 

At 12:57 the very news I had been hoping for, a gettable Alpine Swift at Oldbury power station in Gloucestershire, hit RBA and it was a case of drop everything and off I go. A very nerve wracking and somewhat licence threatening 50 minutes later I arrived at the power station car park where ten or so birders were peering at the sky over the power station at the Alpine Swift.

 

The Alpine Swift is found in Africa, southern Europe, and Asia. They breed in mountains from southern Europe through to the Himalayas. Like their cousin the Common Swift the more northern birds are migratory with the southern European population wintering in southern Africa. They are larger than our Common Swift with a wingspan up to 60cm. Apart from their size, the most obvious difference to our Common Swift is a highly visible and distinctive oval white belly patch encircled by an  olive-brown breastband. Their tail is dark with a shallow fork.

 

The power station at Oldbury is an old style Magnox nuclear reactor located next to the sea which provides the necessary copious cooling water. Power stations typically generate a microclimate warmer than surrounding areas and the resulting insect population was presumably the attraction to the Swift. The promised light rain was steadily  falling and, while this made anything other than record shots problematic for photography, it did have the advantage of pushing the insects lower giving us some great views of the Swift flying low over the car park. In flight it had the typical jet like agility of a hirundine gliding effortlessly on the wind with little or no need to flap its wings. Overhead the distinctive white belly was very obvious although it was hard to get a true measure of its overall size without anything to compare it to.

 



After an hour or so the rain was steadily coming down and with the bird moving a little more distant I decided to make my way home up the motorway in an altogether much more leisurely manner than earlier.

 

And just to make a good day even better my beloved Seagulls beat our arch rivals Palace tonight to put us level on points with Liverpool and pushing hard for Europe with games in hand.

 

SEAGULLS!!!

 

 

 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!    

Comments

  1. What a chance to see and photograph an Alpine Swift in The UK. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many more around this March than previous years it seems...something's changed...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Black Kite at Duncombe Park and thoughts on its provenance

     A rare Black Kite was at Duncombe park for a week or so, often associating with the display birds at the national bird of prey centre. While most birders who have seen it seem happy enough to tick it as a wild bird, its location has led to some doubts being expressed over its provenance. Some have even gone as far as to state categorically  that it’s an escapee.   So before I describe my visit to see it lets examine its provenance. As anyone who has read my blogs before will know , I’m a scientist with a doctorate in Physics and this drives me to analyse problems such as the provenance of this bird with as much logic as possible. In this regard I feel it is very important to state clearly what is a fact and what is based on a balance of probabilities.   So let’s start with the facts.    To start with it must be stated that historically there have been,  and probably still are, both genuinely wild and  escaped captive Black Kites present in the UK. The relative population of each a

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t