Skip to main content

Back to my old stomping ground for a Lesser Scaup


The view from our house over the Malverns early on 6th March

 With the weather forecast looking decidedly iffy I had decided against any birding this week. I plenty of jobs around the small holding to keep me busy. A week or so ago one of the old ash trees in the paddocks, somewhat unbelievably, caught on fire. It was an old tree quite hollow at its base. We think an ember from our neighbours bonfire blew into the hollow. The wind then caught the ember and set the inside of the tree on fire. The result was an incredible furnace which funnelled up through the centre of the tree. Our local farmer spotted it and was throwing water on it when he alerted me. The fire was so intense that I could not put it out with a hose and we had to call the fire brigade. They emptied 2000 litres of water on it which eventually put it out. It left the tree in a very precarious state so our neighbours organised a tree surgeon to come and take it down. The upside of this unfortunate event is that I have an enormous amount of ash to process and store for next winters log burners. This was also an excuse to get out one on my favourite big boys toys – my electric log splitter!

 

The heated greenhouse is full of promise with most of the veg started in fibre pots inside. I grow all my flowers for our pots and hanging baskets from seed and cuttings and the heated propagators are full up with rapidly germinating trailing Lobelias, Petunias and Biddens. The first batch of Tomatoes for salad and pasta are also growing strongly.

 

On Tuesday morning I was planning to process more of the Ash but the weather was much better than forecast so I decided to pop over to one of my old stomping grounds in Oxfordshire, Farmoor reservoir, to see a rare vagrant Lesser Scaup. Come mid-morning I had finished various daily chores on the small holding and checked RBA to see if the bird had been seen but there were no reports. I dropped a message onto the excellent Oxon birders WhatsApp group to see if anyone had seen it. After a short while my friend Ewan responded to say he was at Farmoor but couldn’t find the bird. No problems playing with the log splitter it is then! As we were settling down for lunch Ewan kindly posted another message to say that he had found it on the south side of F2, the larger of the two reservoirs split by a causeway. So after lunch I drove the 50 mile pleasant cross country drive through the Cotswolds to Farmoor. Ewan had said that the Scaup was on the south side of F2 and as I walked around I met another birder who told me it was close to the shore by the bus shelter. There was only a small flock of Tufted Ducks and so it was easy to pick out the distinctive plumage of the Lesser Scaup amongst them.

 

I’ve only seen 2 Lesser Scaup ; a small North American diving duck  that migrates south to central America for winter, in the UK before. The origin of the name scaup is thought to stem  from the bird's preference for feeding on scalp—the Scottish word for clams.  It is also colloquially known as the Little Bluebill because of its distinctive blue bill. The Farmoor bird is a first winter drake, possibly the same bird as the one on Staines reservoir a few weeks back. It has quite distinctive plumage with a black, iridescent head and a small tuft at the hind crown, a black breast, a whitish-grey back, and wings with darker vermiculations giving it an overall very attractive appearance.








With no one else around I had the bird to myself for an hour or so. It was always in amongst the Tufted Ducks and seemed to be completely accepted by them. I sat quietly on the reservoir perimeter wall and the Lesser Scaup came it very close to feed.  As an unexpected bonus the sun came out perfectly positioned behind me for photography. I thought how different this was to my recent experience with a Pallas’s Warbler, see here. Photographing the Lesser Scaup was almost too easy. Rather perversely, I found the cat and mouse game with the Warbler all together much more satisfying when it eventually gave itself up for a few brief minutes.

 

I got back home just as the full moon was rising over Bredon hill. Low down on the horizon it was a forbidding blood red globe, a phenomena caused by blue light being scattered more than red light by dust in the atmosphere. I like the old pagan names for our full moons, they are so full of character and menace reflecting the superstitions and beliefs of the time. The march moon is called the Storm Moon. Quite appropriate to the weather the next morning when I drew the curtains to be greeted by a  snowstorm.


The Storm Moon rising over Pirton


Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!
   

Comments

  1. We were walking up there on Sunday Jim, got chatting to a group of birders watching these. Apparently only the second time they have been spotted in Oxon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian, yes I think that's true - glad you saw it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr