Skip to main content

All high-browed and in a Smew

  
Yellow-browed Warbler curtsey of Nick Truby


 

Well that’s worse blog title for the year sorted nice and early then!

 

Anyway …………

 

On Sunday I went out for my first full day of birding of the new year with  2 locations in mind. Firstly, Summer Leys nature reserve near Northampton, a reserve I have never visited , where a showy Yellow-browed Warbler seemed to be over wintering. Secondly, Eyebrook Reservoir in Leicestershire which has become the top UK spot for overwintering Smew.

 

Summer Leys NR Is some 90 minutes’ drive from home and after a fairly leisurely start to the day I arrived at 10:00. The visit started off less than perfectly when I arrived to find the car park full. I cheekily parked on some grass but a warden soon appeared and asked me to move. Luckily, a parking spot soon opened up and I was togged up and on my way in no time. I found the reserve to be very pleasant and birder friendly with a series of well positioned hides overlooking well managed scrapes and pools. A very chilled out slow walk while birding and noting new additions to my semi-serious year list had me at the warblers location some 45 minutes later. A few other birders were present and they informed me that the bird had shown briefly 30 minutes ago. Feeding warblers tend to have a circuit they go around every hour or so and sure enough the warbler was soon seen making its way along the hedge in amongst some dense brambles.

 

The Yellow-browed Warbler in the UK is a very interesting example of bird vagrancy. Its nearest breeding range is some 5,000 kilometres away and the vast majority winter in south east Asia.  A small number, however, exhibit a phenomena known as reverse migration and head off 180 degrees in the wrong direction and end up in the UK. The current theory is that this is due to a genetic error causing  them to get magnetic north and south mixed up, see here for a much more detailed account of the causes of bird migrancy.

 

Like many other leaf warblers  it has overall greenish upperparts and white underparts. It also has prominent double wing bars formed by yellowish-white tips to the wing covert feathers, yellow-margined tertial feathers, and a notable long yellow supercilium all adding up to making it a very attractive bird.

 

While I would say that It is not  particularly shy, its arboreal lifestyle  combined with the fact that it is almost constantly in motion can make it difficult to observe. My good birding friend Nick, see his great blog here, had got some great shots of the warbler so I was hopeful of the same but it kept itself in quite deep cover as it fed and the moments it was out in the open were very fleeting indeed.

 

Rather than spend all day on the off chance of getting a good photo I decided to move on to Eyebrook reservoir to look for Smew. On the way back to the car I paused at a feeding station where 4 or 5 brightly coloured male Bullfinches were feeding and rattled off a few shots.

  



Bullfinch

A 30 minute drive had me arriving at Eyebrook reservoir where a narrow road runs parallel to the water. I pulled over and had a quick look at a flock of ducks and instantly recognised the unmistakable sight of a drake Smew in amongst them. A little further along a small group of birders were scoping the water so I joined them and spent a very pleasant 90 minutes watching at least 10 Smew swimming in-between a large flock of mainly Tufted Ducks. They were a  mixture of the distinctive white and black drakes and females affectionately called red heads for obvious reasons if you look at the photo below.

 

Although the Smew are often lumped together with the Mergansers and Goosanders as  saw bills they are actually the only living member  of the genus  Mergellus . You can see the small saw teeth on the Redhead photo, an adaption for holding onto slippery fish. The drake Smew, with its panda like appearance, is quite stunning and very unmistakable. A drake and female Scaup were also in amongst the Tufted ducks. Photos, given the distance of the birds and the low late afternoon mid-winter light , were a little challenging so I’ve also included a few I took earlier. Come 15:30 the short winter day was rapidly turning into twilight and it was time to head home after a most gratifying and relaxing Sunday birding.


Drake Smew at Eyebrook




Drake and Redhead Smew from another location

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr