Skip to main content

A sablime experience and my nemesis


    


 

 

It’s been some two weeks since I’ve done any birding.  I’ve been preoccupied with jobs at home, mostly landscaping work and laying mud mats so we can get the quad bike across our smallholding. The soil here is clay and in the summer it is concrete hard transitioning in a few weeks to slime in the winter!

 

On Sunday I finally succumbed to temptation and paid a visit to the Hampshire coast to see a very confiding Sabine's Gull.  I certainly wouldn’t say that gulls are amongst my favourite birds but a Sabine's Gull in summer plumage, and for some odd reason this one is, is a most attractive bird indeed. Its rated as a scarce visitor to the UK almost aways being seen off the coast on sea watches. I’ve seen several in the past in this manner but none of them were in breeding plumage. It is named after the naturalist Joseph Sabine. He based his description on specimens that had been collected by his brother Edward  Sabine who had accompanied John Ross on  his voyage to look for the Northwest passage.  

 

It breeds in the Artic  with a circumpolar distribution. Most of the population spend the winter  at sea in the Pacific off western South America. Compared to most gulls it is a very attractive bird with the adult having a pale grey back and wing coverts, black primary flight feathers and white secondaries. Unusually for a gull, the white tail is forked. In summer plumage the male has a dark grey hood contrasting with a bright  yellow bill tip.

 

Some birds, particularly warblers, can be little so and so’s to see with the observer spending many hours staring at a bush in hope of a quick glance. This bird most definitely does not fall into the category! It is incredibly confiding, often landing on the shingle within a few feet of observers. I guess this trusting behaviour is due to two factors. Firstly, being a bird of Artic and pelagic habitat, it has probably never seen a human being. Secondly, it is being fed sardines by visiting birders. 

 

The bird is located on the Hampshire coast at a place called Budd’s Farm near Havant, some two hours drive from home. Following a very pleasant crisp and frosty morning walk with my dogs as the sun came up, I drove the mainly motorway route and arrived around 11pm. Departing birders gave me directions from the small car park and I soon saw the gull flying around a small group of people by a  shingle beach. True to form, it soon landed on the shingle just a few meters from the small crowd, had a little wander around and then sat down, tucked its head under its wing and went to sleep without an apparent care in the world. I was told it had just had a sardine feast and was clearly feeling a little sleepy after its heartly meal, I know the feeling!

 

After a little while it took to the wing again and proceeded to give a mesmerising arial display. The R5 tracking performed to spec and I soon filled a memory card with flight shots. The whole area around the location was very birdy with flocks of displaying Red-breasted Mergansers just off-shore and four Velvet Scooters, a bird I haven’t  seen for several years, just a little further out. Small groups of Godwits and Greenshank snoozed in the rather pale winter sun on the salt marsh while a Kingfisher hunted off of a decrepit wire fence overlooking the marsh. Without a breath of air to disturb it, the sea was completely flat and mill pond like and glistened a beautiful pale blue in the weak sunlight.

 

       










Come 14:00, and flushed with the success of these fantastic views, I made the rash decision to do the evening gull roost at the comparatively nearby Ibsley lake.

 

Now every birder has a bogie bird, i.e a bird that evades them no matter how hard they try to see it. My particular nemesis comes in the form of the American Ring-billed Gull, a bird I have dipped on at least 5 occasions in the UK. To make matters worse I have seen literally thousands of them in North America. On arrival I found the main car park and hide shut due to flooding but a high vantage point viewing platform gave a good view over most of the lake. There were literally hundreds of gulls on the water with more coming into roost all the time – this was going to be fun! To the non-expert gull person, which certainly includes me, the Ring-billed Gull can be confused at a distance with our Common Gull. The subtle plumage differences and yellow Iris on the American Gull are not always clear at a distance. I was hearted when I was joined by three other birders who clearly knew their Gulls from their Dodo’s. We got chatting and one of the birders said that he had seen the Ring-billed on all of one of his roost visits this winter. He was obviously not aware of my relationship with this pesky Gull and my presence soon resulted in his second miss of the winter! Some small consolation came in the form of a distant Bittern and two Med Gulls moulting into summer plumage. Oh well that’s dip number 6 then. Perhaps one day I will get views like todays gorgeous and confiding Sab Gull – dream on Jim, dream on!


Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr