Skip to main content

Top of the flops 2022

 

Myrtle Warbler

Is it really 12 months since I posted my review of 2021’s birding?  The years really do seem to go faster as you get older! Anyway, without further ado, here is a review of my 2022 birding year.

 

2022 was a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding year with a par for the course annual total of 221 birds and 15 additions to my life list including 2 firsts for Britain. The autumn trip to Shetland was undoubtably the outstanding highlight of the year. The timing weather wise was absolutely spot on with gale force winds producing a seemingly endless stream of wonderful rarities included a remarkable five lifers for me in just ten days. I very much doubt that that will ever happen again!

 

Bird of the year


This is a real tough one with so much to choose from. The two UK firsts, namely the Cape Gull at Grantham on the 7th  of August and the Least Bittern at Scousbrough on the 7th of October are outstanding candidates but I’m going to go for the Slate-coloured Junco that I saw in St Ishmael's on the 22nd of May.  I’ve gone for this north American gem because the twitch to see it so wonderfully sums up the roller-coaster ride of disappointment and elation that often goes hand in hand  with chasing rare birds. 

 

This is a common bird in North America and I had seen many on my numerous visits over the years. They are, however, very rare vagrants to the British Isles and hence represented a sizable gap in my UK bird list. When news broke of the bird on Sunday 22nd May I dropped everything and drove to St Ishmael’s on the southwestern tip of Wales as I was well aware that most of these birds are one day wonders in the UK. The bird was in a private garden and as I arrived at the designated parking area, some 10 minutes’ walk to the location, I met another birder who told me I better hurry up as the garden was about to be closed for the day. Now, due to a complete cock-up on my part, I went to entirely the wrong place and by the time I finally worked out where the house was everyone was gone and the house was empty. In complete despair I walked back along the drive to my car but as I got to the end of the drive a car drove up and stopped next to me. I meekly asked the driver if this was the location of the Junco and he said yes he was the house owner and I was welcome to look. When he heard how far I’d come he said that he better make me a cup of tea – what a lovely man! The bird had been feeding on a patch of ground sown with wildflower seeds and after an hour or so the gardener, who had originally found the Junco that morning, arrived with his small son but there was no sign of the bird. After another couple of hours there was still no sign and I was close to leaving when there was a flash of slate grey in the hedge and there was the Junco. As has often been the case with Juncos I’ve seen in North America, it was very confiding and gave excellent views until it was nearly dark.



   



Slate-coloured Junco

Photo of the year


I’ve been fortunate enough to get some semi-decent pictures of quite a few birds this year. It’s always tempting to go for a good shot of something very rare such as the Myrtle Warbler above. I’ve decided, however, to ignore this temptation and go for a picture of a scarce rather than rare bird that gave me particular satisfaction. I spent quite a lot of time in the spring of 2021 sussing out my local woodland for Nightingales, Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. I hence knew exactly where to go in May to watch and photograph Wood Warblers. Many hours spent sitting on a damp log in one particular spot were rewarded with some stunning views of a singing male. I was particularly happy with this photograph and every time I look at it I can almost hear the Wood Warbler’s distinctive spinning penny song – role on spring 2023!


Wood Warbler


Dip of the year


A few good candidates as always. Staring at the same bush on Beachy Head for hours on end hoping to see a Radde’s Warbler is right up there but my day trip to Cornwall, i.e 4 hours each way, to dip a Montagu’s Harrier, a big  bogie bird for me, takes the biscuit. A very early start had me arriving around 9 to be informed by two birders at the parking spot that the bird had been showing well but had just flown off high inland. No worry as it had been doing this on previous days but then coming back several times during the day to quarter the heathland on the hill. Cue 8 miserable hours standing on a windswept and largely bird free hill staring wishfully into the distance. Needless to say that the bird was never seen again!

 

Lord Snowdon one pixel award


There are always many hundreds of photos deleted from my camera for everyone I keep so I’m rather spoilt for choice here. Rather than go for a picture of a very distant bird as in previous years I’m going for a totally obscured photo of a Baikal Teal taken at the RSPB Greylake reserve on the 17th of February. Good luck with finding it in this picture as it is 99% obscured. If you look closely you can just about make out a vivid green blob behind the reeds where its head is!

  

Where is Wally?

To finish with here is a small selection of my other favourite photos from this year.

 







 

















All that remains is for me to wish you all a very happy and bird filled 2023!

 

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr