Skip to main content

Concerning Mr. Cirl Bunting

    


 

I spent the week following the nice surprise visit of Garganeys to our village lake, see here, birding locally at Upton Warren and Grimley. The highlight was seeing three little Gulls at Grimley which were found by another local birder. In habit they are more Tern, rather than Gull, like as they hawk for food over the water. As the name suggests,  they are small Gulls being almost Dove like in appearance. The three birds seemed to all be adults in various stages of moult into summer plumage and they have a characteristic black underwing which is very obvious in flight. They were too distant for anything other than record shots but gave very nice scope views.

 


I fancied a trip out somewhere this week so hatched a plan to visit Devon. My plan was to spend a couple of hours trying to see a Spotted Crake at Exminster Marshes and then visit the RSPB reserve at Labrador Bay. Spotted Crakes are often extremely elusive and sulking in habit, in fact a few years ago I spent all day in a hide at Gibraltar point in Lincolnshire for one 5 second view of one! So, rather than waste a whole day, I resolved to spend a maximum of 2 hours looking for it.

 

The journey from home to Devon is a very straightforward but somewhat tedious drive straight down the M5. I arrived around 9:00 to find a small group of birders peering at the pond island the Crake had been frequenting. It was biting cold and I was very grateful that I had looked at the weather forecast and donned thermals before leaving home. To cut a long story short, it didn’t show during my two hour vigil. In fact, true to form, it didn’t put in an appearance until later that evening. A distant Spoonbill, a few Sand Martins, and a hunting Marsh Harrier did provide good distraction while we waited. So at 11:00 I upped stumps and made my way the short distance to Labrador Bay.

 

Labrador bay was brought in 2008 by the RSPB with one intention in mind, saving the Cirl Bunting from extinction in the UK. The Cirl Bunting, a charming relative of the yellowhammer, is at the limit of its European range in the UK. Cirl Buntings were once a common and widespread farmland bird all over the south of England and up into Wales but a survey in 1989 revealed a catastrophic decline in their numbers. There were just 118 pairs left, mainly in Devon. The modern farming practice of planting winter corn has removed their traditional winter food source in the stubble which, sadly in common with most other farmland birds, has contributed to their sharp decline. At Labrador bay the RSPB has worked with local tenant farmers to provide the ideal habitat for these Buntings such that numbers have risen from 118 to 862 pairs in 25 years. In spring the males have a striking black chin, eye stripe and crown and yellow stripes on their head and yellow underparts.

 

I have visited Labrador Bay more of less annually in recent years and so knew exactly where to look for the Buntings and I found them still in their winter flocks with no sign of territories being set up yet. The RSPB run a supplementary feeding program and the Buntings in their winter flocks never seem to be far from the feeding area. I adopted my usual technique of sitting down by a promising hedge, waited, and immersed myself in nature. Bumble bees were feeding on the frothy white blackthorn blossom and several Chiffchaffs were singing their loud repetitive song which gives them their name. Sure enough after an hour or so I heard the distinctive cheep cheep call of the Cirl Buntings and a flock flew into the hedge facilating some nice views and photography. The R5, being a total silent mirrorless camera, comes into its own in such circumstances with no shutter noise to disturb the birds. After 10 minutes or so the flock moved on and I decided to go for a walk to warm up a little.  




 


I found a small gap in a hedge above a mud bank which gave a view into a recently ploughed field and I saw the Buntings ground feeding at the far end of the field. It was just about possible to lie down behind the bank with the camera perched on the bank so I settled down in an awkward and somewhat uncomfortable prone position and waited. The Buntings slowly made their way towards me and after an hour or so I was rewarded with close views. I kept completely still and for 15 minutes or so I had the best views I have every had of these delightful Buntings. The males were absolutely resplendent in their spring plumage. The females, while lacking the intense contrasting yellow and black of the males, were nonetheless very attractive in their own right. The viewing spectacle ended abruptly when a Blackbird let out a loud alarm call as a Buzzard flew overhead and the flock flew into the safety of a nearby hedge.

 









In an altogether ungainly manner I extracted myself from my prone position behind the bank and started to make my way home very satisfied with my views of this most characterful bunting.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr