Skip to main content

A blustery April day at Frampton RSPB

   

The Sky Lark previously known as Johnny Rotten

Looking at my friend Nick’s post on his visit to Frampton RSPB last weekend made me realise that I haven’t been to Frampton, probably my favourite RSPB reserve, for ages. Frampton holds very fond memories for me with my UK ticks of Broad-billed Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper, Pacific Golden Plover, Caspian Tern, and Black Stork all being achieved there. So off to Frampton I went on Tuesday  for a chilled out days birding.

 


Frampton is a two and a bit hour drive from home and leaving comparatively early avoids the commuter traffic build up on the M5 and M42. The last 30 miles is always much slower with lots of tractors and lorries and, with a break for coffee on route, I arrived just before 9. The visitor centre was closed but they have a very helpful map showing the days or previous days sightings which I always take a picture of to guide me around the large reserve. The weather was overcast but dry with the main challenge being a very blustery wind. I headed to the excellent 360 degree hide via a site where an early Sedge Warbler had been singing the previous day. I heard a couple of snatches of song but it wisely stayed low down and sheltered from the wind.

 

In the hide I met Ian, a birding friend from Nottingham, who was photographing a distant Little Gull. There were good numbers of Ruff on the islands and scrapes, a somewhat surprisingly late year tick for me. Unlike, say a Blackbird, where individuals are almost impossible to distinguish from one another, Ruff have very variable plumage ranging from substantial white through many shades of buff and brown. The Ruff were still all in winter plumage with no sign of their flamboyant breeding regalia which gives them their name. A small area in front of the hide had been ploughed, presumable to encourage birds to come in and feed. One particularly obliging Ruff was feeding amongst the disturbed soil and came very close to the hide. It was a very attractive individual with a mainly white breast contrasting with rusty brown and tan wings and pale orange legs.





Ruff


 

The ploughed area also brought in Skylarks to feed. They would feed for a short while, do the obligatory head cocked sky check for predators and then give a short bust of song. I guess the biological urge to attract a mate at this time of year is so strong that they could not feed for long without bursting into their characteristic song which is normally heard from high up on the wing. Skylarks have a crest that isn’t always obvious but the blustering wind was giving them a really bad hair day and their crest would occasionally get blown right up in a very punky manner.

 


Sky Lark

Ian departed to look for some Little Stints and after a while I checked RBA and saw that a male Ring Ouzel had been found on site. I  walked back to visitors centre and the map had been updated with the Ring Ouzels location near the reservoir. I met up  with Ian again and we walked together along the recently renovated and well-made footpath to the reservoir. The Ring Ouzel was some distance away from the reservoir in the corner of a field ground feeding with some Blackbirds. 

 

Spot the Ring Ouzel!



   
A marginal better pic from Cleve Common a few years ago

They are slightly smaller than a blackbird  with the male Ring Ouzels being particularly distinctive with black plumage contrasting with a striking white breast band. They are primarily  birds of the uplands, where they breed mainly in steep sided-valleys, crags and gullies. They are migratory and although they are comparatively scarce, I would expect to see them most years on spring migration.  There were also some rather distant Garganey on the reservoir bank having a midday snooze.  Ian left to pack up and go home and I walked back to my car for my traditional sandwich and coffee birding lunch. 


After lunch I walked around the reserve looking for Little Stints and Little Ringed Plovers but the blustery wind was blowing the scope all over the place and so after a while I decided to go back to the 360 hide and spend the rest of the afternoon there. The reserve was as quiet as I can remember and I had the hide mostly to myself. The departure a few days earlier of the star attraction, a White-Tailed Lapwing, was probably keeping numbers down. I dropped everything to go and see the Lapwing the day it was found at Blacktoft sands. As it turned out there was no need to rush as it stayed in England at various sites for some 9 months! I spent some time scoping the reserve for the Little Ringed Plovers and Little Stints but wader interest was limited to the Ruff, Godwits, Dunlin, Ringed Plover and a foraging Turnstone still in winter plumage. The Skylarks kept coming and going providing good entertainment until two Little Ringed Plovers flew in for some photography. Apart from their smaller size, the Little Ringed Plover is easiest distinguished from a Ringed Plover by its bright orange eye ring which is always obvious even from a distance on adult birds.

 

Little Ringed Plover

Around 16:00 I departed for home via our favourite chippy in Worcester to pick up dinner for Carolyn and me. I must say that I do enjoy these chilled out days birding without the pressure of a twitch to see or, heaven forbid, dip a rare bird. 

 

At home 2 very cute Collared Doves have now fledged from the barn nest but there is no sign of our Swallows, they have presumably been held up on migration by the strong northly winds. The greenhouse and cold frames are now absolutely overflowing with goodies, many waiting for the frosts to pass before they can be planted out. The fruit trees are coming into blossom and the forced Strawberries in the greenhouse are laden with rapidly growing fruit. The first early potatoes in the veg patch are up and I’m raking them up every night to stop them getting burnt by any frost.

 

 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!     

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr