Skip to main content

Birding the ancient woodlands of Wales and a bit closer to home


 

Pied Flycatcher
With the spring passage now in full swing, I’ve managed to get out birding four times in the past week. I’ve had a day out in the mid wales ancient oak woodlands, two trips to Grimley and one to the very local Clifton lakes.

 

Last Wednesday I set off bright and early on my semi-annual trip to the woodlands of central Wales. Last year this trip was a lockdown pipe dream so its now two years since my last visit. My chosen location in central Wales is quite remote which, I must confess, is really where the attraction lies. I’ve had whole days out there in the past when I haven’t seen a single soul. I find the peace and tranquillity of  nature and its solitude intensely therapeutic, perhaps I was a hermit in a previous life!  The subjects of my birding desires in said woodland were three woodland summer migrants, namely Pied Flycatcher, Redstart and Wood Warbler.

 

On arrival there seemed to be Willow Warblers signing their simple but none the less quite enchanting song from every bush and tree. There is a boardwalk that goes through the wood and in the past I have found that picking a spot where the birds are active and then sitting low and still on the boardwalk to be a very effective way of watching and photographing the birds at comparatively close quarters. I’m quite happy to sit like this for several hours making a conscious effort to let my mind go blank while immersing myself in nature. I picked a spot this time where I had seen several male Pied Flycatchers active and also where there were a few promising, i.e photogenic, potential perches. It was almost impossible to perform an accurate count of the Pied Flycatchers as they came and went through the trees but I would guesstimate upwards of ten very smart males. The males typically arrive a week or so before the females and were already checking out the nest box accommodation. It was quite a cold morning with a penetrating wind which I guess reduced the amount of flying insects. The Flycatchers were hence actively feeding on the ground, something I don’t recall seeing before. After an hour or so of watching the Flycatchers one perched up quite close on one of my hoped for perches and I rattled off a few shots. He then flew up onto an even closer perch, inspected me for a short while and then returned to his brethren feeding on the ground. I hence rather self-satisfyingly ended up with probably the best pictures I have managed so far of these black and white beauties.

 



Pied Flycatcher

There was also a lot of activity amongst the Redstarts but I did not managed to get a natural looking photo that I was happy with. They were mostly perching up on the fence as per this snap. 

 

Redstart

Still you can’t expect everything in one day so here’s a more natural shot taken in the same location two years ago! 


One I took earlier!


After 3 hours or so of sitting down I dragged my somewhat sore and wet rear end back to the car for coffee and sandwiches.

 

I spent most of the subsequent afternoon looking in vain for Dippers on the river and Wood Warblers in the forest. I realised afterwards that I was a week or so earlier than my previous visits and I guess the Wood Warblers were not yet in, a fact later confirmed by my birding buddy Nick who said that they he had found they don’t really arrive at this location until the first week of May. I have the Wrye forest local to me which holds a good population of Wood Warblers and so I will try for them again there soon.

 

My two visits to Grimley were very enjoyable and yielded a few new for the year birds. The series of naturalised gravel pits and separating causeways provides a very pleasing to the eye birding backdrop. The location is well birded with sightings regualrly posted on twitter during the day. The number of Reed Warblers has exploded in the past week or so with seemly every possibly reed patch now occupied by a male bashing out there very distinctive song. A local birder put me on my first Swift of the year on Friday and upon checking my records at home I discovered that this was in fact my earliest Swift record! I’ve met a number of very friendly local birders at Grimley who have given me lots of very useful info on both this and other birding sites close to my new Worcester home.

 

One site that came up repeatedly both in these discussions and on Twitter was Clifton Pits. I was astounded and somewhat embarrassed to realise on checking my maps when I got home that this site was only four miles from our new home! Quite why it has taken me 6 months to discover this I’m really not sure! There were regular reports of upwards of fifty Yellow Wagtails in a single flock feeding amongst the horses including a Channel Wagtail hybrid. With a Whimbrel also reported there on Sunday I made a long overdue first visit. It took me eight minutes in the car to get to the site just behind the small village of Clifton. I parked up where there were a few other cars and after a short walk I was looking at two quite substantial lakes which I presume were originally gravel pits. It was clearly a very “birdy” site with a few other birders present and good numbers of birds including Shell Duck, Egyptian geese, Oystercatcher, Redshank and a single female Wheatear. Here is an interesting factoid  which may even be true–  Wheatear used to be called White Ass but the prudish Victorians renamed them Wheatear – a total misnomer as they actually eat insects’. I soon found the Yellow Wagtail flock in amongst the grazing horses. There was a fairly tightly knit flock of 46 birds feeding around the horses in their usual manner. Thus was certainly the largest single flock of Yellow Wagtails I have ever seen and provide quite a birding spectacle. I scanned the flock with my scope but could not see the channel hybrid.  After a while I left the Wagtails in search of the Whimbrel and eventually located it quite distant on the far shore of the largest lake associating with a Bar-tailed Godwit.  A very promising and on my door step site which I most certainly will be revisiting!


Reed Warbler and Yellow Wagtail at Grimley


Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia! 


Comments

  1. Nice one Jim, would love to visit this secret garden in Wales one day, i usually end up at Nagshead for PFC and RS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t