Skip to main content

A very photogenic Cattle Egret at Grimley




Today dawned in Pirton with clear blue skies and, as is my usual habit, I was soon out on my early morning dog walk. Two days ago I had heard, but not seen, my first Common Whitethroat of the year in a hedgerow close to our house. I find each and every spring reacquaintance with returning songsters exhilarating and uplifting quickly banishing all thoughts of dark winter days. I suspect the Common Whitethroat’s scratchy song is a bit of an acquired taste but I love it! Today the songster yielded himself up from the depths of the hedgerow and sung to me from the top of the hedge putting a smile on my face for the rest of the walk.

 

I dropped the dogs off at home, grabbed my scope, bins and camera and departed on the short drive to Grimley where I planned to spend a very leisurely morning birding. The car thermometer read 14 degrees as I arrived but it felt much warmer than that in the sun and I set off in shirtsleeves and a very agreeable mood. The camp lane pits complex at Grimley is comprised of a series of old gravel quarries similar to the ones in Oxford but they differ in that many are smaller and, being newer, have less shoreline vegetation. As I walked to the first lake I heard the unmistakable chatter of Little Grebes which always sound angry to me, almost as though they are scolding a naughty child. There were 5 Little Grebes on the pond with a right old ding-dong going on. It looked as though one was aggressive trying to drown another, behaviour I have often seen in Coots but never in Little Grebes.

 

On the next pond I spotted the familiar form of the semi-resident Cattle Egret which is showing signs of summer plumage with a rusty ochre tinge to its crown. I’m pleasantly surprised that it has stayed so long as I thought it would have left in search of  a mate by now. For once the light was perfect with the sun directly behind me and I spent a good hour watching and photographing this still comparatively rare newcomer to our shores – see here for more on the Egret family colonisation of England. It was searching for food on the shore line in the normal Egret manner of shaking its legs in the silt to disturb invertebrates. While I was pouring myself a coffee the Egret flew off and I missed my chance of some flight shots – oh well you can’t have very thing!

 





I spent the rest of the morning slowly walking along the shoreline to the end of the lake complex pausing to watch Little Ringed Plovers and Redshank in my scope and listening to the scratchy song of Reed Warblers and the more orchestral song of Blackcaps. In some trees at the far end of the complex two male Blackthroats were involved in a singing contest  and I paused a while to enjoy their sweet song– what a lovely way to spend a beautiful spring morning!


Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia! 


Comments

  1. Blimey Jim, jealous you had one of the most enigmatic Asian birds on your new patch; Blackthroat aka Black-throated Robin ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm surprised that it did not generate a major twitch! went back for a second look but could only find Blackcaps😂😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Black Kite at Duncombe Park and thoughts on its provenance

     A rare Black Kite was at Duncombe park for a week or so, often associating with the display birds at the national bird of prey centre. While most birders who have seen it seem happy enough to tick it as a wild bird, its location has led to some doubts being expressed over its provenance. Some have even gone as far as to state categorically  that it’s an escapee.   So before I describe my visit to see it lets examine its provenance. As anyone who has read my blogs before will know , I’m a scientist with a doctorate in Physics and this drives me to analyse problems such as the provenance of this bird with as much logic as possible. In this regard I feel it is very important to state clearly what is a fact and what is based on a balance of probabilities.   So let’s start with the facts.    To start with it must be stated that historically there have been,  and probably still are, both genuinely wild and  escaped captive Black Kites present in the UK. The relative population of each a

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t