Skip to main content

Strange days have found us


A visit to New York city in 1966 prompted the late great Jim Morrison to write Strange Days. The lyrics have perhaps never rung so true as they do today.

Strange days have found us
Strange days have tracked us down
They're going to destroy
Our casual joys
We shall go on playing
Or find a new town

Strange eyes fill strange rooms
Voices will signal their tired end
The hostess is grinning
Her guests sleep from sinning
Hear me talk of sin
And you know this is it

Strange days have found us
And through their strange hours
We linger alone
Bodies confused
Memories misused
As we run from the day
To a strange night of stone

We have two horses that we have to feed and water everyday so we are combining this with our once a day early morning permitted walk with the dogs at Dix pit. Its eerily quiet out walking with essentially all industrial noise and the background murmur of other humans going about there daily life’s silenced.  The everlasting cycle of nature continues oblivious  to the man-made disaster we have wrought upon ourselves. The majority of winter wildfowl have left Dix Pit and the absence of the continuous whistling of Widgeon that has been my companion on my walks for many months has gone further adding to the surreal feel. Apart from singing Chiffchaffs no other spring migrants seem to have arrived yet – it feels like silent spring in reverse. The spring violets and cowslips are in full flower. As a boy growing up in a small hamlet called Hindon in Wiltshire we would go out for long carefree spring walks picking cowslips and violets to take home for our mums. This seems a literal lifetime ago.


Where have all the Widgeon gone?

I was talking, at much more than the safe recommended distance, to an elderly lady who I often meet walking her dog at Dix pit.  She lives on a mobile home park and told me that she was getting very worried and depressed because some residence had taken it upon themselves to sit at their windows all day and count how many trips individuals were making from their homes. I felt so angry that just about the only permitted pleasure for this lady in these scary times was been ruined by moronic busybodies, do we really all belong to the same species?

I get bored very easily so I’m very lucky at the moment that I have plenty of spring jobs to do in the garden. The previously reported greenhouse mouse that demolished my first attempt to sow broad beans has been successfully apprehended and transported to pastures anew. The cuttings and seedlings that will become our summer containers and hanging baskets are growing at an alarming rate jostling for what little space is left in the greenhouse. The first crop of pot sown lettuce and beetroot are growing fast with a tantalising promise of wonderfully tasty salads to come. I’ve been using these warm sunny days to complete the first weeding of our flower beds and borders and to re-establish the edges lost to the encroaching lawn over the winter.

I’ve been doing a little garden photography to keep occupied, mainly Great and Blue Tits with the occasional Coal Tit. The flock of Greenfinches is still around but visiting our feeders less and less often as their priorities change to raising the next generation. I spent most of Saturday morning trying to photography one particularly hansom strikingly green male only for him to appear in exactly the spot I desired as soon as I packed my gear away!



The rubbish that gets posted on social media has gone in to absolute hyperdrive with all sorts of unsubstantiated tripe being posted as fact about the virus. This makes my scientific blood boil! If only people would stick to subjects they have some knowledge of and leave “fact “reporting to the experts the world might feel a very slightly less scary place during these awful times. If one good thing comes out of all this I really hope that the powers to be finally recognised and financially reward those who have been neglected for so long, our wonderful and dedicated public sector workers in the NHS and other vital services.

Comments

  1. Nice read Jim, hope you’re keeping safe and well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - really enjoying your front room sessions - stay safe and hope to see you out birding again soon!

      Delete
  2. The doors of perceptiom?. Who Knows

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Black Kite at Duncombe Park and thoughts on its provenance

     A rare Black Kite was at Duncombe park for a week or so, often associating with the display birds at the national bird of prey centre. While most birders who have seen it seem happy enough to tick it as a wild bird, its location has led to some doubts being expressed over its provenance. Some have even gone as far as to state categorically  that it’s an escapee.   So before I describe my visit to see it lets examine its provenance. As anyone who has read my blogs before will know , I’m a scientist with a doctorate in Physics and this drives me to analyse problems such as the provenance of this bird with as much logic as possible. In this regard I feel it is very important to state clearly what is a fact and what is based on a balance of probabilities.   So let’s start with the facts.    To start with it must be stated that historically there have been,  and probably still are, both genuinely wild and  escaped captive Black Kites present in the UK. The relative population of each a

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t