Skip to main content

A Kingfisher at Upton Warren Nature reserve

     

Compared to last years stellar birding, this year has seemed very slow at times. I guess it’s inevitable after last year’s September fall of the decade of American warblers that this year would seem dull in comparison.

 

There’s been nothing in the past couple of weeks to temp me to do a “drop all and drive” so I’ve been concentrating on getting a few jobs done at home prior to my annual Shetland trip at the start of October.

 

I did, however, recently spend a very enjoyable and relaxed morning at Upton Warren. My plan was to do an hour or so at the moors before moving onto the flashes. A short while after I set myself up in the hide overlooking the moors a Kingfisher flew in and  perched on one of the newly installed sticks in front of the hide. It spent maybe 5 minutes jumping between the three sticks. It caught several small fish providing some lovely photographic opportunities. I hence decided to stick around to see if he came back.


The male and female are similar in appearance but can be distinguished by the colour of the lower mandible which is black in the male and orange in the female leading to the old expression that the female wears lipstick.






 

As the morning wore on the scrapes and water in front of the hide got busier and busier with wildfowl flying in which seemed to deter the Kingfisher from more fishing. It came in several times, perching only briefly on one of the sticks before flying off. 

 

Towards the end of the morning an attractive Marsh Harrier drifted over, presumably the one that has been seen regularly at Upton over the last month or so. Waders were somewhat scarce on the ground with only a pair of very skittish Dunlin and singles of Snipe and Green Sandpiper.

 

Come 12:30 I departed for home to continue on my list of jobs quite refreshed from a very chilled out mornings birdwatching.



  Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

The Hawfinches of the Forest of Dean

   Hawfinch - Forest of Dean, winter 2017 A highlight of my winter birding is my annual trip to the Forest of Dean to see Hawfinches. I was unable to go last year due to the post-Christmas lockdown so this year’s visit was even more richly anticipated than normal.   Parkend in the Forest of Dean is my usual chosen location for watching Hawfinches. Here the proven technique of using your car as a hide normally works well. I must also say that,  after a number of quite strenuous twitches recently, I was also looking forward to a much more leisurely birding session!   The story of Hawfinches in the UK is, to my mind at least, a fascinating one. It is what is known as an eruptive species meaning that it occasionally erupts from its traditional breeding grounds to invade on mass countries much further away. This is thought to be driven by a combination of breeding success and local crop failure resulting in not enough food to go around.    Records indicate that the Hawfinch was a very rare

Perseverance or sheer stupidly? – The Belted Kingfisher nailed at the 4th attempt!

         Belted Kingfisher I have had three failed attempts, or dips as birders call them, to see the Lancashire Belted Kingfisher over the last few weeks, including two harrowing encounters with the slope of death, see here .     So when the bird was relocated a few miles away from its original location in an altogether less challenging spot I was soon off on my 4 th  attempt to see this truly stunning mega rare vagrant from North America. We had friends from the village coming to dinner on Wednesday night so I really didn’t fancy a strength sapping silly o’clock departure.  I hence left home at 07:00 on Wednesday morning and heading north again up the car park previously known as the M6.   The Kingfisher had relocated close to Samlesbury at a place called Roach Bridge on the river Darwen. I arrived at 09:30, found a parking spot very close to the bridge, and set off along a muddy footpath towards the reported location. Disconcertingly, many birders were heading back to their cars alr