Skip to main content

Calidris Bairdii (that’s Baird’s Sandpiper to you in Welsh) at Goldcliffe Pools in Gwent

     
Baird's Sandpiper

Well not really but you get my drift!


I’ve only seen one rare American Baird’s Sandpiper in the UK, a  bird I saw on a trip with Jeremy to the south coast in 2017. The views were distant and heat hazy as this heavily cropped picture taken with my 800 mm lens shows. It hence resides in my well populated seen badly UK list category. So when one was found on the Welsh coast near Newport only an hour or so from home off I went off to try and see it on Sunday morning.


 

Bairds Sandpiper Lynch Cove Sept 2017

Somewhat surprisingly, given that it is only some 60 minutes from home, I have never visited the RSPB nature reserve on the Newport Wetlands or the nearby Goldcliffe Lagoons. I stupidly didn’t check the location details properly, you would have think I would have learned my lesson by now, and first went to the RSPB reserve where one of the volunteers redirected me to the extensive sea wall at nearby Goldcliffe. 

 

Observing the Sandpiper on the extensive mudflats was very tide depended. At low tide the sea receded a long way and the bird was much harder to pick up in amongst the large flock of Dunlin it was loosely associating with. At high tide the flock was pushed up onto the few meters of remaining mudflat and was hence much easier to see. There had been no reports of the Sandpiper before I arrived but just as I was getting out of the car at Goldcliffe a report came in that it was on the mudflats along the sea wall – perfect timing for once! High tide on Sunday was around 08:00 and after my detour to the wrong location I arrived just as the tide was starting to turn.

 

Along the sea wall a small group of birders were clearly watching the bird. After the traditional nervous quick walk I arrived at the spot to find my good friend Nick lying prostrate on the ground photographing the bird. I had reacquainted myself with the appearance and distinguishing features of the Baird’s prior to my visit and it was comparatively easy to pick it up amongst the Dunlins as it was more Stint like both in size and habit.

 

Baird’s Sandpiper is named after the 19th century naturalist Spencer Fullerton Baird although there are moves a foot in the US , which I don’t fully agree with, to rename birds away from the names of the naturalist who originally studied them. They breed in the northern tundra from eastern Siberia  to western Greenland where they  nest on the ground, usually in dry locations with low vegetation. They are long distance migrants wintering in south America and are a rare vagrant to western Europe.

 

Adults have black legs and a short, straight, thin dark bill. They are dark brown on top and mainly white underneath with a black patch on the rump. The head and breast are light brown with dark streaks. One of the best identification features is the long wings, which extend beyond the tail when the bird is on the ground. The Colins bird bible also points towards its  "Unusual flattened oval shape to body when viewed from the front or behind"

   

The characteristic flattened oval profile


I joined Nick Laying on the ground by the seawall to get as low an angle as possible for photography. I’ve said before that, as a general rule, being level with the bird yields the best results.  This was obviously not possible in this case although laying down lessened the line of sight angle. Although the Baird’s was loosely associating with the Dunlin they clearly knew it was not one of their own and were quite intolerant of it when it came too close. The squat oval profile was particularly apparent when the Sandpiper was facing away from us, a very clear defining feature that I will try and remember just in the unlikely case that I stumble upon one myself.  As the tide quickly receded the flock became more and more restless relocating further and further out on the mudflats. 








Baird's being chased off by a Dunlin


 

Before I left I spent some time gossiping and catching up with Nick and Anne and other Oxon birders present.

 

I was back home by 13:30, what a cracking good way to spend a Sunday morning!

 

 

 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!    

 

 

 

 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

The Hawfinches of the Forest of Dean

   Hawfinch - Forest of Dean, winter 2017 A highlight of my winter birding is my annual trip to the Forest of Dean to see Hawfinches. I was unable to go last year due to the post-Christmas lockdown so this year’s visit was even more richly anticipated than normal.   Parkend in the Forest of Dean is my usual chosen location for watching Hawfinches. Here the proven technique of using your car as a hide normally works well. I must also say that,  after a number of quite strenuous twitches recently, I was also looking forward to a much more leisurely birding session!   The story of Hawfinches in the UK is, to my mind at least, a fascinating one. It is what is known as an eruptive species meaning that it occasionally erupts from its traditional breeding grounds to invade on mass countries much further away. This is thought to be driven by a combination of breeding success and local crop failure resulting in not enough food to go around.    Records indicate that the Hawfinch was a very rare

Perseverance or sheer stupidly? – The Belted Kingfisher nailed at the 4th attempt!

         Belted Kingfisher I have had three failed attempts, or dips as birders call them, to see the Lancashire Belted Kingfisher over the last few weeks, including two harrowing encounters with the slope of death, see here .     So when the bird was relocated a few miles away from its original location in an altogether less challenging spot I was soon off on my 4 th  attempt to see this truly stunning mega rare vagrant from North America. We had friends from the village coming to dinner on Wednesday night so I really didn’t fancy a strength sapping silly o’clock departure.  I hence left home at 07:00 on Wednesday morning and heading north again up the car park previously known as the M6.   The Kingfisher had relocated close to Samlesbury at a place called Roach Bridge on the river Darwen. I arrived at 09:30, found a parking spot very close to the bridge, and set off along a muddy footpath towards the reported location. Disconcertingly, many birders were heading back to their cars alr