Skip to main content

An Aquatic Warbler in Sussex

   
Aquatic Warbler

I have been suffering from a serious dose of cabin fever which, if truth be told, has left me feeling quite low. Looking after Loki’s recovery from his operation has left me pretty much grounded for a week. We initially thought that the stitched wound would take 2 weeks to heal but the recovery has been put back by the area regularly bleeding, presumably where he has knocked it  at some point, and we are in the process of getting a second opinion to see how we take this forward.

 

After taking him to the vets yet again yesterday morning, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been in the last 8 weeks, Carolyn very kindly suggested I needed some  mental therapy via birding while she looked after everything at home. My destination was a place called Upper Beeding in Sussex where a rare Aquatic Warbler had been found the previous day. Virtually all records of this attractive warbler are for one day only making them quite hard to twitch but this one had done the decent thing and stayed the night. 

 

With a forced late departure, I reckoned that I would have 5 to 6 hours of daylight when I arrived. My good friend Nick, who had visited that morning, sent me some stunning pictures he had taken of the bird  providing further motivation to visit.  After a rather boring but uneventful drive I arrived at the village church, parked up and walked over a small footbridge down to the bank of the river Adur and followed the  riverbank until I came to a small group of birders  who, as is our want, were peering intently at a river side bush.

 

The Warbler had not been seen for almost 2 hours which immediately had me worried that it had gone. As the afternoon wore on 2 hours became 4 and I became increasingly desolate at the thought that I had missed the bird, just what my mental health needed! All this changed in an instant when the bird flew out of the long grass in a field adjacent to the river and flew into the bush. It turned out that it had been in the grass all along! This sulking and elusive behaviour turned out to be very typical of the bird reminding me of the Lanceolated Warbler that I saw in Shetland last year. I could not see the bird from the path but I hopped into the field where I had a  good view of it through my bins.

 

The story of the Aquatic Warbler is a sad but all too familiar one. It is the rarest and the only internationally threatened songbird found in mainland Europe. Apart from a very small remnant population in Western Siberia, its breeding grounds are completely confined to Europe. It’s breeding habitat requirements are very particular. It requires wet sedge beds with vegetation shorter than 30 cm. Unfortunately drainage has led to a very sharp decline in numbers, and it’s now largely confined to  eastern Poland and Belarus where 70% of the world's population breeds. Once a common and widespread bird its population has now plunged to around 10,000 pairs.

 

The wintering grounds of the Aquatic Warbler were unknown for many years  but it was recently discovered that much of the European population overwinters in the Djouj National Bird Sanctuary in Senegal.

 

The adult has a heavily streaked brown back and pale underparts with variable streaking. The forehead is flattened, and the bill is strong and pointed. There is a prominent whitish supercilium and crown stripe. It could be possibly confused with a juvenile Sedge Warbler, which may  also show a crown stripe, but the marking is stronger in the Aquatic Warbler.

 

After a short period of time it flew from the bush to the opposite bank of the river where it sat out in the open on the sedge for a few minutes, the only time I had a more or less unobstructed view of this attractive and delightful member of the Acrocephalus  genus which includes the Sedge, Marsh and various Reed Warblers.






 

I was hoping for a better view to match Nick’s cracking photographs but it spent the rest of the day either in the grass field or its favourite bush limiting me to a number of flight views. Come 18:30 I left the river to make my way home in equal measure delighted and relived that this charming and rare visitor had become species number 398 on my Uk bird list. Just 2 to go to the big 400 – I wonder what they will be?

 

Footnote - My blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

Comments

  1. Lovely photos of a lovely bird! So important to keep records like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr