Skip to main content

Fostering resentment but it turned out ok in the end

   
Forster's Tern


OK that’s pretty cringe worthy I would have to agree!

 

My alternative was “Passage to Arne” but I thought that it was too obscure.

 

So the resentment bit dates back to Thursday 6th April, the day before the long easter weekend. We had family around when news broke of a mega rare Forster’s Tern on a reservoir in Somerset. To say that the suggestion that I go and see it was unpopular would be an understatement but after sulking around for a bit I was told ”oh just go!!!”

 

It was the best part of a 2 hour drive from home and when I arrived there was a small huddle of birders looking out over the reservoir. I was told that it had flown off literately just before I arrived and although I stayed until near dark it did not return. A good candidate for dip of the year!

 

More recently what is presumably the same bird has been reported on and off along the Dorset coast. Its appearances were short, infrequent, and unreliable, hence my motivation to try for it was low. In the past week or so it has become more settled on the coast at Arne RSPB nature reserve and my good friends Nick and Anne saw it on Saturday. With a couple of other commitments the first day I could go was this Tuesday.  I left home just before 06:00 and arrived at Arne just after 09:00. Arne is a beautiful nature reserve with very mixed habitats, woodland, heathland and coastal and it’s been far too long since I last visited.

 

The bird had already been reported that morning sitting on its favourite spit at Shipstal Point a 20 minute woodland walk from the carpark. I met oxon birder Adrian Sparrowhawk

on the way who told me that the tern had been flushed off the spit by a Peregrine. I wasn’t too concerned as I thought it would settle again. On the beach there were perhaps ten other birders but no sign of the Forster’s. A small flock of Sandwich Terns were feeding in the distance and it was thought that the Forster’s was probably with them. After perhaps 30 minutes the Forster’s flew to the spit, dropped into the water a couple of times and then flew behind the lefthand headland.

 

Forster’s Tern in the UK is rated a Mega, i.e. an extremely rare vagrant,  with only  21 accepted records to the end of 2020. It is a common Tern in North America where it breeds inland on marshes before heading south to the Caribbean and northern Central America for the winter. The adult in summer plumage closely resembles our Common Tern but with longer tail streamers and legs and a different upper wing pattern. The Dorset Tern was a first summer bird and as such could be distinguished by its white crown, dark bandit like mask around the ear coverts, orange red legs and a dark and strongly pointed bill. The only possible confusion at a distance at Arne would be with the Sandwich Terns but seen well it was very different.

 

It soon flew back in and settled down on its favourite spit. Rather annoyingly from the viewing point it was somewhat obscured by grass around the corner of an inlet. As luck would have it I had chosen to wear wellies rather than walking boots and by wading a few feet out at the viewing point I could get a clear view of it. It was now late morning and the bird looked very settled and proceeded to lay down on the wet sand for a mid-day siesta so it seemed like a good time to go to the café for lunch.

 

An afternoon  stroll around Compton Common on the reserve failed to yield the Dartford Warblers and Spotted Flycatchers I had hoped for but had not really expected – wrong time of day at the wrong time of year. Birding was limited to a few juvenile Mipits and a small flock of Linnets with the males still in their smart summer red breasts. The common itself was a beautiful site with a carpet of  heather in flower and insects enjoying the abundant flowers everywhere – so different from the baren intensive agriculture landscape at home.



Compton Common


When I got home I checked how many Terns are recognised on the Uk list and  was surprised to see that there were 19 species of which I have only seen 12 so still plenty to go for! – see footnote.

 

Footnote 1 

 

Tern species on the UK list – I have seen the ones in red.

 

Gull-billed Tern

Caspian Tern

Royal Tern

Lesser Crested Tern

Sandwich Tern

Cabot's Tern

Elegant Tern

Little Tern

Least Tern

Aleutian Tern

Bridled Tern

Sooty Tern

Roseate Tern

Common Tern

Arctic Tern

Forster's Tern

Whiskered Tern

White-winged Black Tern

Black Tern

 

Footnote  2


My blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   


Comments

  1. Arne is probably my favourite reserve along with Titchwell :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr