Skip to main content

A kind of Garganey day with a little pinch of Stilt

     
Black-winged Stilt

Carrying on with last weeks theme, pseudo-local birding was the name of the game again this week. Doubly so as my normal bird-mobile is in the garage and the curtesy car is best described as a biscuit tin on wheels which I wouldn’t really fancy driving any distance. It does, however, have the advantage that it seems to use no fuel whatsoever.

 

Slimbridge was my chosen destination yesterday, a far cry from the peace and tranquillity of last weeks Wyre forest but, when the crowds of children start to annoy me, I remind myself that if we don’t educate this generation about  nature and our delicate planet much better than ours there really is no hope. Our relentless pursuit for higher and higher yields of chemically produced food and the resulting decimation of our insect population worries me immensely. We are probably already too late to reverse the decline in our ecosystem. I wonder how my grandchildren will look back on my generation, not with any respect I suspect.

 

Anyway back to Slimbridge. There were two scarce birds present, namely Garganey and Black-winged Stilt.  I have seen both many times but I fancied a chilled out day photographing them.

 

Members are allowed into Slimbridge an hour or so early but are normally limited to the hides along the Rushy side of the reserve.  The Garganey were reported as being on the Rushy and the Stilt on the south lake on the other side of the reserve. Normally when a rare bird is present members are given access early to the other hides but on this occasion we weren’t. Slightly odd as the last time Black-wing Stilt were present, also on the south lake a few years back, we were allowed early access.

 

Anyway no real problem as I could spend the first hour with the three drake Garganey. They were comparatively close to the hide but absolutely fast asleep with their heads tucked in occasionally opening a wary eye to check for threats. At this time of year they would have already had four hours of daylight to feed and were quite content to snooze in the sun.

 

Come 09:30 I made my way with a small number of other birders to the South lake where the Black-winged Stilt was showing somewhat distantly in the middle of the lake. I spent most of the morning at the south lake taking somewhat unsatisfactory distant photographs of the Stilt. While it was occasionally harassed into flight by zealous parent Avocets, it  always gravitated back to roughly the same distant position. I popped back to the Rushy hide before lunch to check on the Garganey but they were still fast asleep. After a quick bite to eat I made my way back to the Stilt and after a while it relocated much closer allowing some better photographic opportunities.

 

The Black-winged Stilt is one of a small minority of birds that seem to be benefiting from climate change. The migrant summer population is slowly spreading north resulting in UK records increasing noticeably over the past few years. They have also successfully raised young here. It is a very cosmopolitan species which is now normally split into four distinct species. The Europe, Asia and Africa species is the nominate Himantopus Himantopus. The Black-necked Stilt H. mexicanus, and White-backed Stilt  H. melanurus, both inhabit the Americas. Finally the Pied Stilt, H. leucocephalus which I have seen,  hails from southeast Asia to Australia and New Zealand.


Pied Stilt - New Zealand

Truth be told it is a rather odd ungainly looking bird with long thin pink legs that look ridiculously  delicate  and a pencil thin long bill that allow it to feed in deeper water than most other waders.

 



After taking too many basically identical pictures of the Stilt I made my way back to the Rushy hide where the Garganey were finally waking up. They are our only migratory duck spending the winter in southern Africa and India. They are rare schedule 1 breeding birds in the UK and most of the birds we see being on migration stop over to their breeding grounds further north. The adult male is unmistakable, with its brown head and breast with a broad white crescent over the eye. The rest of the plumage is grey, with loose grey scapular feathers It has a grey bill and legs. In flight, it shows a pale blue speculum  with a white border.

 

Simple images of ducks on water, dare I say it, can be rather dull so I was hoping that one of the drakes would make its way over to a green patch near the shore to give the picture a bit more interest. Luckily one did for a few moments allowing me to capture the picture I hoped for.





 

Garganey


Avocet

I spent the last hour of the day on a fools errand looking for the worlds most elusive Bluethroat at the end of the summer walkway. The sun was out and my first marsh orchid of the year was in flower along the walkway so not a completely wasted way to end a very chilled out and pleasant late spring day.

 

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Black Kite at Duncombe Park and thoughts on its provenance

     A rare Black Kite was at Duncombe park for a week or so, often associating with the display birds at the national bird of prey centre. While most birders who have seen it seem happy enough to tick it as a wild bird, its location has led to some doubts being expressed over its provenance. Some have even gone as far as to state categorically  that it’s an escapee.   So before I describe my visit to see it lets examine its provenance. As anyone who has read my blogs before will know , I’m a scientist with a doctorate in Physics and this drives me to analyse problems such as the provenance of this bird with as much logic as possible. In this regard I feel it is very important to state clearly what is a fact and what is based on a balance of probabilities.   So let’s start with the facts.    To start with it must be stated that historically there have been,  and probably still are, both genuinely wild and  escaped captive Black Kites present in the UK. The relative population of each a

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t