Skip to main content

Up north for a confiding Pied Wheatear and distant Scoters


 

Tuesday was a birding day of great extremes, a Pied Wheatear that was so confiding  that I could have picked it up and put it in my pocket and a Scoter flock so distant that I could hardly make individuals out.

 

This is how my strange brain works. Even though I had the best October ever with  an astonishing five life ticks in Shetland followed by another in Suffolk, I start to get twitchy feet if much more than a week goes by without any decent birding. This state of affairs leads me to consider dafter and dafter trips. When a showy Pied Wheatear was found on the coast just north of Newcastle a week or so ago I resolved not to go as I did not need it for my UK list and it was a punishing four hour drive. However, after eleven days with no birding to speak of and cracking photos posted on social media my twitchy feet had me in the car at 05:30 heading north! My plan was to see the Wheatear first and then either drive a further 60 miles up the coast to try and see a Black Scoter, which would have been a life tick, or drive back south to Scarborough to photograph some Waxwings.

 

The four hour mainly motorway drive passed slowly but easily broken only by a coffee stop. The only notable event was when I passed six spanking brand new silver Rolls Royce’s all with 1 *** number plates. Ahead of them was an empty silver Rolls Royce hearse with a similar number plate. I would guess that the cost of the number plates alone would be pushing on to seven figures and a  rough calculation said that I had just passed some three million pounds of automobiles, there is clearly a lot of money to be made as an undertaker!

 

The adult male Pied Wheatear is a spectacular looking black and white bird but almost all UK vagrants are first winter birds, presumably indicating that inexperienced migrators are much more likely to get lost.  It has a wide breeding range from Southeast Europe through to Western Asia. In the spring and summer it is found eastwards from Romania and Bulgaria right across to Afghanistan.  In the autumn in migrates to  Northeast Africa for the winter.  It favours  rough, rocky countryside and is often seen perching on a bush or rock, alert and looking around while bobbing its tail up and down.

 


Are you looking at me!

I arrived at Whitley Bay just north of Newcastle just after ten and immediately spied some 20 people clearly looking at the Wheatear. It was immediately obvious why such good pictures were appearing online, the Wheatear had absolutely no fear whatsoever of people and was  quite comfortable perching up within inches of those present. I guess the location, a rather bare concrete  skate park, bore some resemblance to its normal rocky habitat. This was a first winter male and I would guess by its behaviour that it had never encountered a human being before. It seemed genuinely curious about all the attention it was getting, flying down to land a couple of feet away from a prone photographer and then staring at him in seeming bewilderment. It would occasionally take to the wing to pluck an insect out of the air before landing to continue its mesmerised watch of those present. I quickly rattled off a full memory card of pictures and then went back to my car for lunch and to consider my next move.

 

  



Given how easy the Wheatear had been, I was well ahead of my expected schedule and so opted for the 60 mile or 90 minute drive north up the coast just south of Berwick on Tweed where the Common Scoter flock containing the Black Scoter was located. Through the casual twitchers WhatsApp group I had some good information on where the Scoter flock normally hanged out and started looking at a place called Cocklawburn Sands. I was optimistic that the Scoter flock would be fairly close in shore as it was high tide but an hour of scoping the sea only produced a flock of Eider and a few divers. I then drove a little further south to Cheswick Sands and starting scoping the sea again. The sea was fairly choppy which is not great for looking at settled birds as they often  disappear below the waves. After about 30 minutes I finally found a very distant Scoter flock of perhaps some one hundred birds. With my scope on maximum x 60 magnification I could make out the paler females from the dark males and also see the yellow beaks on the mature males. Seen well, the key characteristic  of the Black Scotter is a large yellow knob on the base of the bill, but after a fruitless hour of scanning the flock I had to conclude that, while I had a few views of a possible candidate, I seemly did not have the resolution at this distance to be sure enough to tick it. So I resorted to take loads of photos with the camera set up at 1000mm focal length in the hope that I could categorically say that I’d seen the Black Scoter and hence tick it.

 

Come 16:00 I departed on my long and uneventful 5 hour drive home. In total I drove a crazy 600 miles in the day!

 

The next day I went through my photos but even with every bit of enhancement software I could throw at them I could still not categorically pull out the Black Scoter. Others reported that they had seen it that morning so I can only think that the flock was much closer to shore then.

 

 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr