Skip to main content

A day trip to Spurn which didn't exactly go to plan

Red-Necked Phalarope


On Wednesday this week I decided to do a birding day trip to Spurn where the target bird was an Artic Warbler, a bird still needed for my UK list. The Artic Warbler is by no means the rarest of vagrants but many tend to be one day wonders with a predominance of records in Shetland and the Western Isles. There were also a few other nice back-up birds in the Spurn area if I dipped the Artic.

 

Without a break Spurn is a 3.5 hour drive for home and I would normally get up at silly o’clock to avoid the traffic. However, with our Doberman still recovering from her recent operation, see here, I had to walk our other dog before I left. With it now not being light until 06:00 this delayed my departure to just before 07:00. Checking RBA during an on-route coffee stop told me that the Artic had been seen again early doors that morning, normally an encouraging sign as birds, if they relocate or continue their migration, tend to do so overnight.

 

The Artic has been reported in the bushes around the discovery centre, a well know hot spot for rarities and where I saw my first and only Two-Barred Greenish Warbler in the UK, see here. I arrived just before 11:00 to find a few other birders vainly searching for the Artic. I joined them in their fruitless search for an hour or so and then decided to cut my loses and drive back the mile or so to Kilnsea Wetlands where a pair of juvenile  Red-necked Phalaropes were located. I walked to the main hide and was amazed by how little water there was, the wetland had clearly suffered greatly from the drought. This meant that the good numbers of common waders were quite distant on the shore line. A young Spoonbill was also present, sleeping on one leg with its head tucked in as they often do. My neighbour, a local birder, announced that a young Caspian Gull had just flown in, a less than annual tick on my UK list, mainly because of the difficult I have in identifying sub-adult birds. After a while I made my way around the back of the wetlands to Beacon pond where the Phalaropes were located. I soon spotted them feeding in the characteristic frantic manner of Phalaropes, often whizzing around in dizzy circles. It never ceases to amaze me that these small fragile looking birds spend the vast majority of their lives far out at sea. They are mainly artic breeders but a very small number breed on the northern Scottish isles and I have been lucky enough to see them in their smart breeding plumage on Uist a few years back.

 

After an hour or so I went back to the discovery centre but there was still no sign of the Artic so I did a slow walk along the canal path, a spot usually good for migrants. At Cliff Farm I found a Pied Flycatcher and a Redstart in the garden feeding on insects on the lawn. I wondered whether the Flycatcher was one of the many I had seen locally early in the spring at Wyre forest. No doubt it will soon be off to tropical Africa for its winter holidays.

   



Redstart and Pied Flycatcher

When I got back to the  discovery centre I met a local birder who told me that the Artic had previously been coming back to some willows picking insects off the bark low down. We both watched the willows for an hour or so but we only saw a couple of Willow Warblers. It was time to cut my losses and head for home. In fact the Artic was never seen again and had clearly moved on.


There seems to be a correlation between my beloved Brighton and Hove Albion winning or loosing and my twitching success. Brighton won on the days I added my last two UK ticks, the Cape Gull and Greater Sand Plover but lost their first game the night before my Spurn trip - I shall clearly have to organising my twitching around Brighton's results!!!

 

In the garden the mediterranean summer has produced bumper vegetable crops. The greenhouse in particular has been very productive with my best ever crop of red peppers and Italian plum tomatoes. I’ve been making yummy tomato and red pepper soup using my own garlic , red chillies and onions. There are now lots of helpings in our freezer to remind us of the summer and keep us warm through the  long dark winter nights.





Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr