Skip to main content

Drop everything (AGAIN!) there is a Turkestan Shrike up north!!

   


 

I was toying with the idea of doing some seabird watching down in Cornwall this week. There have numerous reports of early rarer Shearwaters, mainly Sooty and Cory’s, being pushed towards the coast by strong south or south westerly winds. I was hence eyeing Wednesday for a possible trip down to the Porthgwarra headland for a day staring out to sea through my scope.

 

Everything changed when at 14:20 yesterday a mega rare Turkestan Shrike was relocated near Bempton Cliffs RSPB reserve in Yorkshire.  It had initial been seen by the finder mid-afternoon on Monday near the cliff tops. It was very wet and had presumably just flown in off the sea perching on the first bit of dry land it found. The finder managed a few good pics before it flew off inland, disappeared and could not be relocated. Fast forward to Tuesday when it was re-found inland on a track near a pig farm along cliff lane near Bempton.

 

I became aware of it when I checked RBA around 15:30 and a plan was quickly hatched. If I left by 16:00 I should, depending on the traffic, be there by 19:30 giving 2 hours or so to see it before sunset. The backup plan, if I was badly delayed on route or if it had gone AWOL , was to either sleep in the car or find some cheap lodgings and try to see it the following  morning. As expected at this time of day, I ran into several traffic delays and the ETA on the shat (sic) nav varied between 19:30 and 20:00. As I got closer the traffic started to clear and I was soon parking on site at 19:30.

 

The taxonomy of the Isabelline Shrike complex was reviewed in 2000 and a decision was taken to split it into three distinct species. 

 

Firstly, the Durian Shrike, a generally greyish bird with only a faint or entirely absence supercilium.  It has an extensive breeding range from the Caspian Sea through to central China.

 

Secondly, the Turkestan Shrike which as an adult differs from the Durian Shrike in having a rufous crown, nape and hind-neck and a prominent white supercilium. It breeds in south Siberia and central Asia.

 

Finally, the Chinese Shrike, the palest form and, being a short distance migrant, highly unlikely (but never say never!) to arrive in Western Europe.

 

Up to the end of 2019 there had been 10 records of the Durian Shrike in the UK ,7 of the Turkestan Shrike and none of the Chinese shrike.

 

After a  somewhat nervous ten minute walk down a well made-up  track I spied maybe 30 birders looking at a distant bush and, sure enough, there was the Shrike. I’ve said it before that, unlike for instance a rare leaf warbler, Shrikes are normally immediately obvious if present as the generally perch high up on a suitable branch scanning their surrounds for insects.  I must confess I like shrikes; they are quite small but can be incredible aggressive taking the occasional bird not much smaller than them. Its distinctive rusty brown crown and rufous red tail were immediately obvious making it, to my eyes at least, a very visually stunning bird. After maybe 20 minutes it flew along the hedge line towards us and started hawking for insects from some dead twigs proving good photographic opportunities. As the time approached 21:00 the light started to fade and I joined the majority of other birders in departing with the very satisfy feeling that comes from a successful twitch and a new UK life tick.



  


 

I have now seen 7 of the 9 Shrike species on the UK list, namely Great Grey, Lesser Grey, Red-backed, Woodchat, Brown, Durian, and Turkestan. I’m just lacking Masked and Long tailed, both extremely rare birds with 5 and  1 records respectively. A juvenile Masked stayed in Kent for 2 days in October 2020, I can’t remember why I didn’t go but I now wish I had!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Excellent - I love shrikes too! Unfortunately petrol's too expensive for me to travel far for twitches atm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Moth - yea its getting crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t