Skip to main content

Perseverance or sheer stupidly? – The Belted Kingfisher nailed at the 4th attempt!

        

Belted Kingfisher

I have had three failed attempts, or dips as birders call them, to see the Lancashire Belted Kingfisher over the last few weeks, including two harrowing encounters with the slope of death, see here.


   


So when the bird was relocated a few miles away from its original location in an altogether less challenging spot I was soon off on my 4th attempt to see this truly stunning mega rare vagrant from North America. We had friends from the village coming to dinner on Wednesday night so I really didn’t fancy a strength sapping silly o’clock departure.  I hence left home at 07:00 on Wednesday morning and heading north again up the car park previously known as the M6.

 

The Kingfisher had relocated close to Samlesbury at a place called Roach Bridge on the river Darwen. I arrived at 09:30, found a parking spot very close to the bridge, and set off along a muddy footpath towards the reported location. Disconcertingly, many birders were heading back to their cars already having had good views of the Kingfisher but they told me that the bird was still showing well when they left. From the footpath it was a short walk up hill over a muddy field to the location overlooking the river where many birders were gathered. My heart sunk when I discovered that the Kingfisher had just disappeared upriver – was this destined to be dip number four? After a very long 30 minutes a birder next to me spotted it very distantly through his scope and kindly let me have a look but by the time I looked it had gone again! Someone then saw the bird flying down river towards us and it was soon relocated at the back of some trees on the bank. Again a very kind birder gave me very clear instructions as to where the bird was and at last, to my enormous relief, I found it in my bins.

   


The Belted Kingfisher is a truly rare bird in the UK with just four records of the BBRC database up to 2019. It breeds near inland bodies of water and coasts across most of North America including Canada, Alaska, and the United States. They migrate  from the northern parts of their range to the southern United States, Mexico, Central America, and the West Indies in winter. It is a stocky bird, noticeably larger than our Kingfisher, with a shaggy crest and a long heavy black bill. Both sexes have a slate blue head, large white collar, a large blue band on the breast, and white underparts. The back and wings are slate blue with black feather tips with little white dots.

  

The Kingfisher flew a short distance back up stream and very obligingly perched out in the open on a tree overlooking the river. Here it stayed for a wonderful 15 minutes giving us all stunning views and the chance of a few photographs. The disappointment from previous dips was now but a distant memory as I watched this truly stunning bird in awe. The Kingfisher was the 25th addition to my UK life list this year, a total I would have bitten your hand off for in January.

 

A week or so ago I did another twitch across to Wales to see a Pacific Diver located on Eglwys Nunydd reservoir. This is yet another mega rare bird with just 9 records on the BBRC data base. The Pacific Diver,  or loon as it is called over the pond, was previously considered a subspecies of Black-Throated diver but was elevated to full species back in 1985. The Pacific Diver is very similar to its sister species but a good view shows it to be smaller and somewhat sleeker. In all plumages the lack of a white flank patch distinguishes this species from the Black-Throated Diver.

Pacific Diver

Grey Phalarope

 

The least said about access to the site, however,  the better but if you want details please dm me. In-between extended fishing dives the diver was showing very well close to the shore allowing some quite close up photography. Also present was a nice Grey Phalarope which was being very confiding, oblivious to human presence as they often are. It is always a marvel to me that this tiny fragile looking bird spends its life far out on the rough and wild  ocean, normally only returning to land to breed.

 

 

 Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!    

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr