Skip to main content

Larking about in Norfolk

  
Shore Lark

 

If truth be told, it’s been a funny old autumn for birding. While there have been a few absolutely stonking megas, what my friend Jeremy calls the supporting cast, i.e. good scarce birds, have been by and large absent.

   


Nonetheless I wanted to do a day out somewhere this week and so decided to drive over to Norfolk for the day on Wednesday for two particular target species. Firstly, a small flock of Shore Larks occupying their fairly reliable  late autumn and winter home at Hockham gap. Secondly a Short-toed Lark  in a field some 20 miles further down the coast at West Runcorn.

 

I left home just after 05:30 and commenced the drive eastwards to Norfolk which normally takes about three and a half hours. Leaving early normally gets me around the M42 before it turns into a car park around Birmingham. All was going to plan as I got to Peterborough and I stopped for a coffee and to pick up a roll for lunch. After Peterborough I ran into very slow moving traffic which eventually ground to a halt at a series of roadworks. I queued for half an hour to get through a very short single lane section controlled by traffic lights where a small and unattended hole had been dug. Shortly after that I was again queuing for over 30 minutes to get around some “improvements” to a roundabout. While static my mind started to wander and I pondered what the real advantage of these improvements were. I noted that the roundabout works were scheduled to take a rather unbelievable two years. If I assume the average queue time to be 20 minutes, the time saved when the works are complete to be 2 minutes and no change in the volume of traffic, I concluded that it would take 20 years before the time lost was balanced by the time gained! I wonder if those who plan these things every think like that – I suspect not. They have a budget for roadworks and prioritise the supposed bottlenecks without considering the pain/reward calculation.

 

The result was that it took me just under five hours to get to Holkham but I resolved to put the hassle of my journey firmly behind me and enjoy my days birding. I parked at Lady Anne’s drive and scanned the fields either side which are good for winter wildfowl. There were flocks of feral Greylags, Brent and Canada Geese but no Pinkfoots. The absence of the latter was not too surprising as the leave this area first thing in the morning to graze on what is presumably richer pasture elsewhere and return on mass in the evening. The warden told me that upwards of 20,000 had arrived in the preceding two weeks. There were also large flocks of Widgeon mainly out of eclipse and resplendent in their shiny new plumage. A sole Curlew probed the ground with is extraordinarily long downcurved bill looking for substance. In the distance I saw a Great White Egret in a field with cattle. It’s a funny old thing that its presence a few short years ago would have resulted in a major twitch but in recent years they have colonised the UK to such an extent that its now pretty much possible to see one whenever you want.

 

Widgeon

I walked down the boardwalk through the conifer tress and took in the panoramic view of the beach which I always find uplifting. The roped off area where the Shore Larks feed is a 20 minute walk eastwards along the sand. I met other birders coming back who confirmed that four Shore Larks were indeed feeding in this area. There was a tide line right up close to the conifers a long way from where the sea currently was. I’m not sure whether this was the result of an usually high tide that had flooded the grass area or if it was caused by a storm , but, very sadly, there were a number of dead seal pups on this very  high tide line. I assume the flood had washed them right up the bank and away from their mothers. 

 

The Shore Larks were immediately obvious feeding in the roped off sandy grass area when I arrived. They would peck away furiously for a few moments and then twist their heads skywards to look for threats. They really were quite stunning in the late autumn sun and I spent some time chilling out and just watching and enjoying them through my scope

 


The Shore Lark, or Horned lark as it is known in North America, is one of my favourite small birds. Most larks, again if truth be told, are rather dull brown jobs. The Shore Lark is the exception being mainly brown-grey above and pale below, with a striking black and yellow face pattern. Except for the central feathers, the tail is mostly black, contrasting with the paler body. The summer male has black "horns" giving it its North American name. The literature lists a large number of subspecies and no doubt, as seems to be the modern way, they will  be split into a number of separate species in the future.

  


After maybe an hour a Kestrel flew over and the Larks rather foolhardily flew up and harassed it. After this excitement they settled down again to feed but almost immediately something else flushed them and they flew off landing somewhere in the sand dunes. So I made my way back to the car, had my lunch while looking out at the wildfowl and then made my way eastwards toward West Runcorn.

 

The drive to West Runcorn took 40 minutes or so. Being my first visit to this location, it took me a little while to orientate myself and find the birds location in a ploughed field just off of the cliff top. There were two other birders present and one quickly got me onto the target bird. It was quite distant at the back of the field in amongst a large flock of Skylarks. The field was quite undulating and the birds would momentarily disappear behind a ridge before popping up again. A combination of distance, wind vibrating the scope and the camouflaging effect of the field made staying on the Short-toed Lark quite challenging. It was easiest to  differentiate it from the Sky Larks by its slightly smaller size, paler appearance and, most noticeable, the lack of any streaking on its breast. They are widespread in Sothern Europe, north-west Africa, and across the Palearctic   from Turkey and southern Russia to Mongolia. They are rare vagrants to the UK with typically between one and four reports per year. I have seen one before in the UK at Shakleford last autumn and here is a picture of that bird.

 

Short-toed Lark

At one point a Kestrel hovered absolutely motionless at eye level behind me on the cliff, its head a frozen study in concentration, never moving in the slightest as it watched the cliff for prey.

Kestrel


The forecast for mid to late afternoon had seemed pleasant enough, sunny intervals and occasional light rain. This was pretty accurate except there was no sign of the sun and the rain started to come down in stair rods! It was time to make a soggy exit stage left and head home from my Lark filled day.

 

 

 

  Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr