Skip to main content

A close encounter of the Red-footed Falcon kind


 


With nothing that I really wanted to travel very long distance to twitch since my visit to the Elegant Tern in Anglesey last week, I decided to visit  Langford Lakes in Wiltshire today where a photogenic first summer female Red-footed Falcon has been for the past few days. I have seen the foresaid Falcon in England a number of times before but only distantly through my scope and so I don’t have any even half decent photos.

 


The Red-footed Falcon is the eastern cousin of our summer visitor, the Eurasian Hobby. It often favours similar wet habitats where it can find copious dragonflies and small birds to eat. It is normally found in eastern Europe and Asia as a summer migrant and it winters in Africa. Its conservation status is near threatened due to habitat loss in its breeding grounds. The Colins birding bible rates it as a one start rarity equating to “an annual vagrant in some numbers”. Moving even further east to Northern China, there is another cousin of the Eurasian Hobby and Red-Footed falcon, the Amur Falcon. This is an extremely rare vagrant to the UK with just two records. The first in Yorkshire in 2008 was only identified after it had left. I was fortunate enough to see the second during its brief stay in Cornwall in 2017.

 

Langford Lakes is run by the Wiltshire Wildlife trust and is located in the very pleasant village of Steeple Langford. Although this is close to where I grew up, I don’t recall visiting it as a boy. A quick google check soon told me why, the lakes were active gravel pits in the 60’s and 70’s. The approach road from the village is down the small Duck Lane onto a car park that I would guess could hold 30 cars maximum. There were a few parking spaces left when I arrived at 09:00 so I parked up and set off on the path between the two main lakes towards the meadows at the end of the lakes where the Falcon was located.  

 

On arrival I found a few birders located outside the hide peering intently at a tree where the Falcon was sitting. I ran off a few record shots but the results were not very satisfying as the bird was strongly back-lit. So I retired to the hide which was quite busy with local photographers but after a short while one left and offered me his seat. The view from the hide reminded me of Pit 60 before its sad demise, shallow water surrounding several small close by gravel covered islands where two fairly natural looking perches had been erected. I was told that the Falcon had been hunting for dragonflies in front of the hide before I arrived and had been using the perches to consume its pray. I settled down and waited and watched a busy Common Sandpiper on the closest island and two more distant Green Sandpipers on the far shore. After 30 minutes or so a shout of “here she comes” alerted everyone to the Falcon flying by the hide, swooping down to catch a dragonfly and landing on the perch in front of us. She was extremely dextrous with her talons. She quite happily balanced on one leg while holding the other up with the dragonfly tightly clasped as she tucked in. At one point an Osprey flew over momentarily grabbing our attention before we continued to watch our captivating wild falcon display.

 







After catching and eating 4 or 5 dragonfly, and to everyone’s great delight, she jumped off the perch onto the island and walked down to the shore for a cool drink of water. Catching and eating dragonflies was clearly very thirsty work! Just when I thought this wonderful experience couldn’t possibly get any better, she got in the water and treated us all to close up views of her having a bath. Her washing activities carried on for 10 or 15 minutes and then, all spruced up, she did a couple of circuits of the lake and flew off to perch on a distant pylon.

 






I had had 3 or so hours of views I could only of dreamed off and so decided it was time to slowly and very contently walk back to the car. 

 

I realised that the small Wiltshire village that I grew up in was only 10 or so minutes from the lakes and so I drove to what had been the  picturesque village of Hindon half expecting it to have been ruined with modern housing development. I was, however,  pleasantly surprised to find the village more or less as I had left it some 50 years ago when it had just 300 inhabitants . I drove by the Grosvenor arms pub where my grandfather was the landlord in the 1950’s and where I had spent the first three years of my life with my mum and dad before they brought their own small cottage just up the high street opposite the church. I was pleased to see that the little cottage that my grandmother lived in just up the road still had its thatched roof. I then drove the short distant to the other side of the village where my primary school was located expecting it to be closed but was again pleasantly surprised to find it still open. I left the village by means of a small single track road that I remembered walking up with my dad to see the Buzzards at nearby Cricklade which at the time was a considerable treat as they were much rarer then than they are today. The last part of the road, however, had been converted into a bridal way with no vehicle access – there can’t be many roads in the UK that this has happed to!! So I doubled back and onto the road to Warminster and onwards towards home in a very contented and mellow mood.

 

 

 

 

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!   

Comments

  1. Oh hell, I've been resisting, but you've made me wanna go now - if it's reported today! ;o) Great stuff! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should defo go if she is still there Moth - a real stunner!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr