Skip to main content

A Rollercoaster Day in Suffolk



 

One of the most exciting things about birding as a hobby is its complete and utter unpredictability together with the excitement and adrenaline rush that goes hand in hand with it. 

 

Today was a case in point.

 

My day started off pretty normally with a shower followed by a leisurely breakfast and feeding the chickens and horses. Carolyn and I then set off for a dog walk around the idyllic countryside that surrounds our new home in Pirton. When we got home I made some freshly ground coffee and cut two slices each of Carolyn’s delicious home-made malt loaf. We sat in the area at the back of the house we call our courtyard drinking our coffee and admiring our new late summer hot border which is just starting to flower.

 

By now it was 11 am and, on checking my phone, I saw that my good birding buddy Nick had messaged me as follows :-

 

“Do you need Roller”

 

This could only mean one thing – an Eurasian Roller had been found somewhere in the UK!

 

By “Do you need Roller” Nick meant do I need it for my UK list – the answer was a very big yes! I checked RBA and indeed a Roller had been found at Lackford in Suffolk!

 

I abandoned my gardening plans for the rest of the day, begged forgiveness yet again from my ever suffering wife, packed the car as fast as I could with my optics and rushed off. My shatnav ( and that’s not one of my usually misspellings!) indicated a mainly motorway journey of 2.5 hours.

 

After 30 minutes or so I pulled into some services to check RBA again only to find the dreaded “No further sign….” Now what was I to do? I exchanged messages with Nick and decided to grab a sandwich lunch from the services and wait and see if there were any more encouraging updates forthcoming. As I was finishing my sandwich Nick messaged me again to say “still there”. I checked RBA again to find that it had been spotted briefly again before flying off!

 

Oh well, in for a penny in for a pound as they use to say in pre 1974 real money, and I pressed onwards towards Suffolk. I decided not to look at RBA again until I was only 10 minutes away to check location details. When I did it said “showing well” on some wires at a slightly different location and then the adrenaline rush really set in!

 

On arrival the ever helpful birding car park attendant, otherwise known as Lee Evans, showed me to a parking spot and I half ran half stumbled to a spot where other birders were scoping the Roller on some electrical wires and there it was Bingo!

 






The Eurasian Roller is a stunningly beautiful bird, perhaps only rivalled in colour content in Europe by the Bee-eater. When perched it glows with chestnut browns and azure blues and when in flight it transforms into a blue purple blur. It is generally a bird of warmer climes, breeding in northern Africa from Morocco to Tunisia, in southern and east-central Europe, and eastwards through northwestern Iran to southwestern Siberia.  Its numbers and range are sadly slowly diminishing. It used to be comparatively common in Sweden and Germany but is now said to be extinct as a breeding bird in both countries. It winters in central and southern Africa and indeed we had many stunningly good views of a number of species of Roller in Kenya some two years ago.

 

Lilac-breasted Roller, Kenya, 2019

The Suffolk bird was an absolute stunner in the scope and I manged to get some half reasonable record shots. Their favourite food is beetles and it was regualrly swooping down from the wires to grab a tasty morsel. After 60 minutes or so it flew further away to the back of the field so I walked up the lane to where another group of birders were watching it but the sun had come out and the views were less satisfactory than the earlier ones. So I bade my farewell to this glorious kaleidoscope of colours and departed for home with an exceedingly broad smile on my face.

 

Some people say that June is a dull month for birding, but I strongly disagree, it’s an excellent month for rarities and June has already delivered a number of very scare birds including a UK first on Lundy. So far June 2021 has given me three UK life ticks in the form of today’s Roller, a River Warbler and a Red-Necked Stint – roll on the next big rare one!

 

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia!  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Twitching an Indigo Bunting in Whitburn and personal thoughts on its provenance

I’ve said to Carolyn a couple of times this week that I felt a Mega was in the offing. There’s been a large fall of birds overshooting on migration to continental Europe this week with more than 30 Red-backed Shrikes counted on Fair Isle alone. So I was hoping for some mega rare overshoot from the East. In fact the opposite happened – birding is nothing but totally unpredictable!   On Saturday I was out doing a lunchtime walk around my local patch when a report of a mega rare Indigo Bunting was posted on the bird alert services. With just 3 accepted records to date this bird really is as rare as rocking horse poo. A male in summer plumage is also a stonkingly attractive bird. The location, Whitburn in county Durham, was some 250 miles or a 4 hour drive from home. I calculated that by the time I walked home and packed the car it would be around 18:00 when I arrived. Should I go now or wait until tomorrow on the hope that it stays? I quickly decided that it was too risky to wait and set

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t