Skip to main content

At last – A Tern for the good




Caspian Tern
 At Last?

Persistently, or some might say more correctly, stupidly, I finally succeeded in getting the Caspian Tern and a life tick at Frampton on Tuesday at the third attempt.  The bird has been at Frampton Marshes RSPB in Lincolnshire on and off for the past couple of weeks but it has the habit of disappearing off somewhere for extended periods, sometimes for the whole day, presumably to feed. My past two visits have coincided with its longer absences. 

So with more hope than expectation I set off from home at 05:30 on Tuesday morning and arrived at Frampton just after 08:00. I had a quick unsuccessful look for it from the visitor centre by the car park and then set off on the 10 minute walk to a viewing hump on the north side of the reed-bed lagoon.  There were a couple of birders already there and they pointed the bird out to me siting in a distant flock of Godwits fast asleep – on this occasion it was as easy as that!

Caspian Terns are the largest members of the Tern family and have a large but scatted distribution being present in all continents except the Antarctic. They are mainly found in Europe in the Baltic and Black sea area and are comparatively rare vagrants to the UK with a small number of sightings most years.

For the next 2 hours it slept, preened for a few moments and then fell asleep again. I really wanted to get a view of the Tern in flight and just as I was about to give up something disturbed the Godwits, which took flight, and the Tern followed suite. Although being comparatively large it lacked none of the elegance and grace of its smaller family members as it flew leisurely closer to us and landed amongst a flock of feeding Dunlin.

Scanning the closer area of the lagoon in front of me also yielded two Curlew Sandpipers in amongst the  Dunlin flock, one still largely in its rusty brown summer plumage. Also present as a nice diversion were a flock of 13 Spoonbill alternatively feeding and sleeping while standing on one leg as is their uncomfortable looking habit. Not so many years back Spoonbills were very rare birds in the UK but now a small but growing number are resident and have successfully bred in the past few years. Climate change has some winners and along with other members of the heron family they are expanding their rage northwards and westwards into the UK.



I learned from other birders present that two Wood Sandpipers were showing quite well on a small stretch of water beyond the 360-degree hide. These are normally an annual tick for me but were missing from this year’s much-reduced list. On arrival at the designated spot I had good and prolonged scope views of an adult and juvenile but they were too far away for photographs so here is one I took earlier!

If truth be told, I’ve been struggling a little bit with the settings on my new 1Dx mark 3 camera, particularly the autofocus.  The autofocus is very sophisticated and claimed by Cannon to be the best on any camera they have every produced.  I think this is part of the problem as there are just too many settings to play around with. I started off just using center spot focusing but this seemed to be underplaying the strength in depth of the autofocus and todays pictures were taken with a small cluster of AF points around the center with some tweaking of other settings such as tracking. I’m not particular happy with the results which seemed a bit soft even though the camera had locked on. In fairness white birds in strong light can be troublesome to photograph in a number of ways and these images are heavily cropped. The AF works by maximizing contrast, which is intrinsically difficult with a white bird. Strong sunlight also tends to burn out any subtle detail and it is very easy to overexpose the shot. I haven’t yet calibrated the body on my lens using the micro-focus adjustment facility, which I will do but, in my previous experience, this only results in a small improvement on focus and would not explain the softness of today’s results. So it’s back to single center spot autofocusing for the time being while I study the manual more- good job I’m retired!

Footnote – my blogs are posted with sometimes rather imaginative spelling and grammar due to my extreme dyslexia! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr