Skip to main content

Quite literally a smashing day in Kent


 
stonechat, receiver coastal path kent uk
Stonechat
With a bright cold winter’s day forecast, and the pit 60 area currently looking like a scene from waterworld, I decided to do something different on Sunday and head down to Kent. Now, the big advantage of getting up at silly o clock on a Sunday morning is that no one else is daft enough to do it. So with clear roads I arrived at my first destination, Reculver on the north coast of Kent, shortly after sunrise. I’ve been to this location several times before and have always enjoyed the long walk along the coastal path. From the car park you have to walk up the hill next to the ruined towers of Saint Mary’s church. The original church was built on the site of a Roman fort in 669 and the now truly impressive but sadly ruined towers were added in the 15thcentury.

A bracing north wind was blowing but the lovely mid-winter sun lifted my spirts and made for a very enjoyable walk east along the coastal path towards cold harbour lagoon. The birding highlight of the walk occurred when a peregrine chased a lapwing out to sea. It looked as though the peregrine had already had one go at the poor lapwing as it looked very dishevelled and out of sorts. The peregrine's technique was to continuously gain a little height and then dive-bomb the lapwing. Then, enter stage left, a merlin appeared and engaged the peregrine in an enthralling aerial battle the red baron would have been proud of. After a few minutes both birds retired to their respect corners with pride intact eventualy departing over the land. One very lucky lapwing followed them onto terra firma a few minutes later.

Turnstones were braving the north wind dashing about frantically and feeding at the waters edge. A flock of ringed plovers seemed far less inclined to brave the waves splashing onto the shore and eventually departed inland, I assume to look for a safer spot to eat.  In the scrub on the opposite side of the path from the sea a flock of forty or so corn buntings were restlessly flying through the bushes.  It was nice to see a reasonably sized flock of these rapidly declining farmland birds; in Oxfordshire they are only holding on in much smaller numbers.

ringed plover receiver coastal path kent
Ringed Plover
A small flock of over-wintering lapland buntings had been reported on and off feeding in amongst the sparse vegetation on the shingle but of them there was no sign or reports all day. I met a local birder who told me that he had seen them first thing on Saturday morning but he believed the strong north wind had caused them to locate somewhat inland onto adjacent farm fields.

I saw a small bird in the distance perched on some rocks close to the turbulent sea and black redstart instantly came to mind. Closer examination, however, proved it to be an incongruous stonechat, a bird I’ve never previously seen perched so perilously on rocks close to the violent sea.

As the morning wore on the costal path became busier and busier with families enjoying the winter sun and I decided that it was time to move on.

My next destination was some forty minutes’ drive away at the Dungeness RSPB reserve located on a small peninsular on the south coast of Kent. Amongst many overwintering wildfowl the highlight was a stunning drake smew, probably my favourite UK duck. I’ve seen them described very aptly as having the appearance of cracked ice, quite appropriate for a very hardly little duck that is only driven south by the very hard winter weather of northern Europe. One or two regularly winter at Dungeness and this particular drake gave stunning scope views but was a little too distant for decent photography. So, I must confess, the attached picture was one I took elsewhere 3 years ago. We occasionally get smew on our local gravel pits and, in fact, my friendly next door neighbour and black belt birder Mick found one on them a few weeks ago. This individual was a red head so called because, yes, you’ve guessed it – it has a red crown. Both females and juveniles share this feature and this particular one was a juvenile.

stew
Smew
On return to my car my cold hand let my camera slip and my 1Dx complete with 500mm lens and extender fell heavily on the ground. Que a very loud “oh f**k followed by an embarrassed check that no one else was within hearing range! Now, again, I must confess to previous drops which tested my equipment much harder than this one but the camera must have landed awkwardly as I manged to damage the bayonet fittings on all there components. In a previous life as an experimental physicist I was use to handling very expensive and delicate scientific instruments but, as my wife will testify, I have become much clumsier with the advancing years. Luckily, my kit is insured and I am a member of the cannon CPS scheme which guarantees a two working day repair turn around. So the kit has been dispatched to Cannon’s UK repair centre today via UPS. Not at all the end  I would have desired to, what was up to that point at least, a lovely day out in Kent! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A UK first! – a Grey-headed Lapwing in Northumberland

     We were out walking our dogs yesterday morning when I said to my every suffering wife that May was a top month for rarities. We had just got home and I was making coffee when I picked up on our twitching WhatsApp group that a Grey-headed Lapwing had been found near the Scottish border in Northumberland! This would be the first UK record of this Asian Lapwing and only the 4 th  in the whole of the western  palearctic.    So after a very quick coffee I was in the car and off on the 285 mile trip to Newton-by-the-Sea. It was a mainly boring motorway drive punctuated by a few nervous stops to make sure the bird was still there – a passing raptor could be enough to spook it and make it depart!   The excellent “twitching the UK group” was providing good updates on the traffic conditions, parking and the bird on route and I arrived at 16:00 and found a space to park amongst the many cars. Walking towards the birds location is always notable for the relaxed birders chatting on route back

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t