Skip to main content

A probable Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler at Gibraltar point, Lincolnshire

A brief spell of easterly winds this week brought a star-studded influx of migrants from the east. The standout was a stunning Siberian Robin, found by well-known local birder Hugh Harrop in his Shetland garden—an extraordinary addition to his garden list!

In previous years, I would probably have been on Shetland at this time of year. However, Costa Rica showed me the delights of overseas birding, so instead I am going to The Gambia with Naturetrek in March. This will be my second visit to this African birding mecca; the first was with my then-girlfriend, just after I completed my PhD—a rather sobering 45 years ago!

Among these eastern rarities, my choice was between a Sykes’s Warbler in Aberdeen and a probable Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler at Gibraltar Point. Both were found on Wednesday afternoon and remained until nightfall. The Sykes’s would have meant an 800-mile round trip and an overnight stay, so I foolishly opted for the Bonelli’s. Why foolishly? As readers of my previous blogs will know, this little blighter has quickly become my latest bogey bird: two long-distance dips last month, plus another in Kent last year when I missed it by just ten minutes.

A brief explanation of Bonelli’s Warblers: two species are recognised, Western and Eastern. I have dipped the Western several times but have never previously gone for the much rarer Eastern, of which only eight records had been accepted by the end of 2024. The word ‘probable’ appears in the blog title because the two species are extremely difficult to distinguish visually. That raises a reasonable question: why treat them as separate species, and might they eventually be lumped together? Supporting their current classification, their ranges do not overlap and their mitochondrial DNA sequences differ markedly. In the field, however, they can be reliably separated only by their distinct calls. When the Gibraltar Point bird was first found, two reliable birders heard it call and identified it as Eastern.

Given my history with Bonelli’s and the drive of more than three hours, I waited for a sighting report on Thursday morning before setting off just before 8 am. Unfortunately, that cautious decision put me in the middle of the morning rush hour, and it was nearly midday when I finally arrived. The warbler had last been seen for ten seconds at 10:40 before vanishing into the scrub. The warblers location, Sykes Farm, was surrounded by dense scrub and small trees—plenty of cover for an elusive warbler. I joined about 20 other birders watching its last known position in a tree, and after an hour I began to feel a dispiriting sense of déjà vu. Then everyone suddenly hurried to the other side of the farm, where the elusive warbler had just been spotted!

After a few minutes, it miraculously flew from a bush and briefly landed on dead branches directly in front of us. There was no time for photos, but at least the Bonelli’s curse was broken, giving me my 438th UK tick!

Here is what can only be described as a statistical anomaly: I seem to have far more success twitching very rare warblers than comparatively rare ones. This Bonelli’s is a case in point—I ticked the much rarer Eastern but dipped the Western. The same pattern holds for the Subalpine Warbler complex. Of the three recognised species, I have seen the rare Eastern and the very rare Moltoni’s (just 16 UK records), yet repeatedly dipped the Western, despite a handful being recorded most years. An odd one!

The Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler, Phylloscopus orientalis, breeds in south-eastern Europe and Asia before migrating to sub-Saharan Africa for the winter. Adults have plain grey-green upperparts, a green-tinged rump and wings, whitish underparts, a small pointed bill, and brown legs. As with most warblers, the sexes look alike. Its call is a hard chup, clearly distinct from the Western Bonelli’s Warbler’s disyllabic hu-it.



Over the next few hours, it reappeared several times in a bush directly in front of us, flitting restlessly among the leaves like a typical Phylloscopus warbler and occasionally emerging into the open. The same bush attracted one or perhaps two Yellow-browed Warblers and several Chiffchaffs, all picking insects from the twigs. During this time, I managed to take a few half-decent photos of the Bonelli’s. It’s much paler plumage, particularly on the breast, made it fairly easy to distinguish from the bush’s other occupants. 

At 4 pm, I decided to leave. It is difficult to describe how the elation of a successful twitch compares with the pain of a dip. It is a win-or-lose game, with no real possibility of a draw. I need to remember this high when the next big dip inevitably comes!

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tuscan Spring

Hoopoe Sometime in January we decided enough (rain and mud) was enough and to preserve our sanity we booked a spring holiday in our favourite part of Europe, Tuscany. The lack of blogs in the past month or so reflects the fun I’ve been having recently starting with an horrific dental abscess resulting in a late night visit to an emergency dentist. The dentist sorted out the abscess but in return seems to have given me some horrific bug which was the worst I’ve had for many a year and laid me low for two weeks. Three covid test were all negative so perhaps it was just a dose of flu followed by a chest infection – man flu is a truly terrible thing! Luckily, I had just about recovered in time for our Tuscan holiday.   A two hour flight to Pisa with BA followed by  a two hour drive delivered us to our villa on the outskirts of Castagneto Carducci at mid-afternoon on Monday 15 th  April. This is going to sound very snobbish but it was the first time for at least 20 years ...

Albert the Albatross

    High quality framed and unframed prints available at   https://www.etsy.com/shop/BirdlifeStudio If you don't see what you want please ask! What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been att...

The Hawfinches of the Forest of Dean

   Hawfinch - Forest of Dean, winter 2017 High quality framed and unframed prints available at   https://www.etsy.com/shop/BirdlifeStudio If you don't see what you want please ask! A highlight of my winter birding is my annual trip to the Forest of Dean to see Hawfinches. I was unable to go last year due to the post-Christmas lockdown so this year’s visit was even more richly anticipated than normal.   Parkend in the Forest of Dean is my usual chosen location for watching Hawfinches. Here the proven technique of using your car as a hide normally works well. I must also say that,  after a number of quite strenuous twitches recently, I was also looking forward to a much more leisurely birding session!   The story of Hawfinches in the UK is, to my mind at least, a fascinating one. It is what is known as an eruptive species meaning that it occasionally erupts from its traditional breeding grounds to invade on mass countries much further away. This is thoug...