Skip to main content

Top of the Flops 2019

Top of the Flops 2019


The votes are in and have been counted and independently verified so here we go with the annual review of my birding year.

Dip of the year

So where better to start than with the most eagerly awaited award. Yet again this year there were so many fantastic entries. Surely an overnight stay in Cornwall and then missing the Brown Booby by one day can’t be beaten. No? While perhaps another overnight stay in Yorkshire only to discover that the supposed Lesser Kestrel was (or was not!) a common Kestrel must trump the Brown Booby. No there is one dip that is simple head and shoulders above all else. A round trip of some one thousand three hundred miles and 8 nights away from home in the Outer Hebrides looking for Pom and Long-tailed Skuas. In Jeremy’s unforgettable words before we left – “there was no Skua passage last year so there is bound to be one this year”. Cue endless hours staring out at a grey Hebridean sea in the freezing cold– result – ZERO Skuas!

The Lord Snowdon one pixel photograph award

Again so many truly terrible pictures to choose from but after much consideration the award goes to this ten pixel picture of, you are just going to have to take my word for this, a Collared Pratincole. Having spent some hours in the hide at the national wetlands centre with many other forlorn birders there was a shout of there it is flying left! Everybody else had a brief view of the bird in flight except nobby no friends who missed it. Cue kicking the scope all around the hide and stamping off in a huff only to discover an hour later that it had returned. Thank god I decided to go back or else I would have missed getting this truly incredible photograph!



Now to the slightly less serious awards!

Photograph of the year

This was a tough one and, in the end, I decided to split this into two separate awards for the UK and Kenya.

For the UK I’ve decided to go for this picture of a Redstart taken in Wales on the 18thJune. I’ve tried many times and failed to get a half decent photograph of this lovely summer visitor but on this occasion two hours laying in damp soggy moss paid off!



For Kenya I've gone for something slightly different with this portrait of a White-browed Coucal taken in the Rift Valley. I love the fractal detail of the neck feathers and the penetrating stare of the blood red eye.




Bird of the year

I’m again going to split this into UK and Kenya. For the UK I’m not going for the rarest bird, the Cornwall Paddyfield Pipit, just because there is a lingering question mark over its provenance. I’m going to go for the unusually showy Corncrake that we saw on North Ulst. Having such a prolonged close encounter with such a sulky bird which is often heard and seldom seen was truly special.



For Kenya I have to go with a bird that I have always wanted to see, the strange and downright weird secretary bird.




I’ve had a really wonderful years birding this year adding 220 birds to my world list. If 2020 is only half as good I would be delighted. So it just remains for me to wish my many thousands (sic!) of followers a prosperous and very bird filled new year!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Baikal Teal revisits RSPB Greylake

  I’ve seen a couple of Baikal Teals in the UK, most recently 2 years ago at RSPB Greylake on the Somerset levels. It sits in that well populated category on my UK list that I’ve mentioned many times in blogs before, i.e. seen but badly!   Now a little surprisingly given its two year absence, what is presumably the returning  adult drake was re-found at Greylake yesterday.  So, with at least some sun forecast to break the seemingly endlessly monotonous  dull December days today, off I went on the 90 minute journey down the M5 to see if I could get some better views.    While checking previous Baikal Teal records I discovered that the Greylake bird from two years ago was the only UK bird I have seen that has been accepted as wild by the great powers to be providing further incentive to visit. A short walk from an almost full car park took me to the same hide overlooking a large expanse of water that I last visited two years ago. The small open hide was quite busy but with enough space t

Albert the Albatross

  What is more improbable -   a)     England’ football team    beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major competition   b)     Seeing an Albatross in England   Actually the answer is a) because it has not happened since 1966 rather than b) as Albert the Albatross, as he is affectionally known, has made a number of passing visits to the UK since 1967!   On Monday evening reports started to emerge of Albert associating with the Gannet colony at RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire, almost one year after his    last brief visit to the same site. During the intervening period there have been a number of sightings of Albert across Europe, particularly from the Baltic Sea where he appears to have spent much of the last 12 months. In fact there were reports that he had been attacked and killed in the area by two eagles.    Reports of his death were clearly greatly exaggerated!   The Black-browed Albatross is circumpolar in the southern oceans but very rarely seen above the equator. If I t

An almost unprecedented fall of American vagrants delivers my 400th UK bird

      If you asked me a week ago which of the 633 birds currently on the BOU list would be my 400 th  bird the near mythical new world Magnolia Warbler would have been very close to the bottom of the list.   Fast forward to this Wednesday when an event started to unfold that would go down as one of the most memorable in British birding history. Strong North Easterly winds blowing right across the Atlantic ocean from the eastern seaboard of North America to the British isles coincided with the peak migration time for American songbirds leaving Canada and the northern states for their southern wintering grounds. In the following couple of days some 20 mega rare birds together with a strong supporting cast of very scarce birds were found  dotted along the west coast of Britain and Ireland. Every time I proofread this the number increases! Every silver lining, however, has a cloud so please spare a thought for the many hundreds of birds that did not survive the 40 hour arduous  Atlantic cr